Unknown Problem Please Help!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dirtyray, Apr 28, 2010.

1. dirtyray

dirtyray Member

I am building a 1998 softail and during the wiring I came across a problem. The left blinker and left light is on as soon as I turn the key. They don't cancel but stay on. What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Adamal47

Adamal47 Active Member

I had a similar problem. I just took apart the left controls and cleaned the contacts really good and it went away.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Look for a pinched wire between the switch housing halves.

4. chester1957

chester1957 Member

Could also be a bad switch that is stuck in the on position.

5. dirtyray

dirtyray Member

thanks for the help. After searching some more I noticed the wirng on the high side is always on the left blinker does not blink but is always on. I cleaned the connectors and checked for the pinched wires and still no luck the blinker stays on. Could it be something else I am missin like the cancellation switch?

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Are both front and back blinkers on or just the front
    if its just the front may be a problem in the wiring to the front blinker getting power from the other circuit could be a short in the wiring or within the blinker shell

Brian

7. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

if u have a turn sig module. it may be malfunctioning....?

8. dirtyray

dirtyray Member

just hooked the back wiring up and the back worked like it should...so it seems to be just the left front blinker.

9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

That pretty well narrows down your problem area to the wiring to the front left indicator or the bukb fitting inside the indicator shell

Brian

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

Possible you have the two circuits in the front light reversed from what you say. The front lights are a double filament (running and directional) and the rears are a single filament (directional only).