Universal Hand Signals

Discussion in 'General OFF TOPIC' started by Doc Blue, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Doc Blue

Doc Blue Member

So I did my first group ride this past weekend, and we were nearly back home when my voltage regulator fried and the bike died on the freeway. (Luckily I was at an exit ramp, and was able to get off the freeway). Unfortunately, no one knew what was happening - they thought I was exiting to go home. Is there any universal hand signal to give the lead or a sweep to say "my bike died" or "I'm in trouble"?

Haven't found one through google, but figured if there is one, you guys would know. Also asked the lead - and he didn't know of one (other maybe a hand across the throat)

Thanks in advance

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

It would be best to establish one at the riders meeting before the group ride.
    I do not think, for this one that there is a universal signal for break down.....

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a published book of hand signals. I have one around here somewhere. I thought it contained a lot of good info, and made copies for some friends. None of them learned any more than "need gas" and "pit stop". :(
    I'll ask the wife to make a foray into her "junk room" and look for it. I'm afraid to go in there. If she finds it, I'll let post the title and publisher.

Here's a link to the google search results of the book (more like a pamphlet) I mentioned.

motorcycle sign language book - Google Search

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

3 times i have had to stop to resolve an issue when riding with wife takes her a few miles to realise i am not there behind her
    first time she got home 9 miles away before she noticed i was not there i pushed the Honda a mile to a car garage before i managed to get hold of her to bring the trailer back

Brian

5. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

I'm watching this thread. This is pretty important...

Enjoy,
    Rich P

6. Adamal47

Adamal47 Active Member

This is the best I can find. I'm really suprised there isn't a universal "emergency" signal. If it were me I would probably just start flailing my arms like a little girl until I get someones attention.

[​IMG]

7. SeaRider04

SeaRider04 Active Member

Don't feel bad Brian, in my case I was wakeboarding and the wife driving my boat.. can't swim with the board strapped on my feet.

8. Doc Blue

Doc Blue Member

I suppose it would have been more obvious if I pulled off 10 miles from the nearest exit and had a sweep behind me, but that wasn't the case here. And I don't use blue tooth, etc., so maybe a "trouble" sign should be determined at the beginning of each ride.

9. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

That was useful Adamal. Thanks for that!

10. Lorgair

Lorgair Member

I'd guess the pull off signal would be appropriate and recognized by most folks.