free website stats program Universal Hand Signals | Harley Davidson Forums

Universal Hand Signals

Doc Blue

So I did my first group ride this past weekend, and we were nearly back home when my voltage regulator fried and the bike died on the freeway. (Luckily I was at an exit ramp, and was able to get off the freeway). Unfortunately, no one knew what was happening - they thought I was exiting to go home. Is there any universal hand signal to give the lead or a sweep to say "my bike died" or "I'm in trouble"?

Haven't found one through google, but figured if there is one, you guys would know. Also asked the lead - and he didn't know of one (other maybe a hand across the throat)

Thanks in advance

It would be best to establish one at the riders meeting before the group ride.
I do not think, for this one that there is a universal signal for break down.....

Yes, there is a published book of hand signals. I have one around here somewhere. I thought it contained a lot of good info, and made copies for some friends. None of them learned any more than "need gas" and "pit stop". :(
I'll ask the wife to make a foray into her "junk room" and look for it. I'm afraid to go in there. If she finds it, I'll let post the title and publisher.

Here's a link to the google search results of the book (more like a pamphlet) I mentioned.

motorcycle sign language book - Google Search

Last edited by a moderator:
3 times i have had to stop to resolve an issue when riding with wife takes her a few miles to realise i am not there behind her
first time she got home 9 miles away before she noticed i was not there i pushed the Honda a mile to a car garage before i managed to get hold of her to bring the trailer back

Brian

This is the best I can find. I'm really suprised there isn't a universal "emergency" signal. If it were me I would probably just start flailing my arms like a little girl until I get someones attention.

group_ride_page_2-2.jpg

3 times i have had to stop to resolve an issue when riding with wife takes her a few miles to realise i am not there behind her
first time she got home 9 miles away before she noticed i was not there i pushed the Honda a mile to a car garage before i managed to get hold of her to bring the trailer back

Brian

Don't feel bad Brian, in my case I was wakeboarding and the wife driving my boat.. can't swim with the board strapped on my feet.

I suppose it would have been more obvious if I pulled off 10 miles from the nearest exit and had a sweep behind me, but that wasn't the case here. And I don't use blue tooth, etc., so maybe a "trouble" sign should be determined at the beginning of each ride.

This is the best I can find. I'm really suprised there isn't a universal "emergency" signal. If it were me I would probably just start flailing my arms like a little girl until I get someones attention.

group_ride_page_2-2.jpg
That was useful Adamal. Thanks for that!

Back