free website stats program Uninsured motorist insurance. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Uninsured motorist insurance.

Cost for the coverage like most things is different depending on YOU.
Your driving record, what you ride where you live ECT.
At this point in my life I carry 100,000 Uninsured and Under-insured each person up to 300,000 each accident.
These two add 62 dollars a year to my costs worth 62 cups of coffee over 12 months IMO.

Wow Smitty if I remember you are currently with Progressive ? Insurance must be a lot cheaper in Wisconsin than Florida. Mine was more like $260 more a year for that same coverage and I'm also with Progressive currently.

Never had a clam that was my fault in 40 yrs, except I did run into the back of a guy's truck once while trying to dial a number on my cell phone ( I don't do that anymore in traffic). I was only going 15 mph when I hit him. He got a new bumper (he probably kept the money because he was actually ready to drive away when me (stupid that I am) pointed out to him where my metal had slightly marred his plastic bumper, could barely tell it.

Maybe that bumper made them up my premiums not sure. His trailer hitch ruined the radiator and much of my front items. But I relenqished the claim on my truck and got it all fixed with the Junk yard and the help of friend. My Truck is so old the insurance wrote it off as totalled and it would have cost me more to replace the truck than they would have paid me, and much more than it cost to fix it.

Oh by the way congrats on you tank badge thing.

I recall reading on this forum some strong recommendations for having at least $100,000. uninsured motorist insurance. I have the standard 20k-40k coverage and I thought that would be enough. I have pretty good medical insurance at work so I am thinking why should I go for the extra expense of adding more coverage? Can you please convince me of the benifits of doing that when I already have insurance? I feel like I am making a mistake by only having the basic uninsured motorist coverage on my bike. Thanks.

You should check with your med. ins carrier and find out if it covers motor vehicle accidents. My ins. made me sign a subragation, which means I had to pay them back for all medical bills incurred in the accident. So if someone with no ins. or minium coverage hits you, you may be on the hook for big bucks. I carry 100k & 300k each occurance, wortth the peace of mind.

Here in Florida, it's what they call a "no-fault" state. Meaning if you have a wreck, it doesn't madder who is at fault, as nobody is at fault. It is your insurance that has to do the initial payment of all expenses related to the accident, medical, property, etc. At least that's what I last remember hearing from my agent on how all this works.

I did the 100/300 coverage limits on both uninsured and insured. Just because there are too many brain-dead-drivers running on auto-pilot on the road anymore.

If your "no-fault" insurance is supposed to pay without regards to who caused an accident, why do we have to pay for uninsred/underinsred drivers with or without a license???? seems like paying for the seem insurance twice...

If your "no-fault" insurance is supposed to pay without regards to who caused an accident, why do we have to pay for uninsred/underinsred drivers with or without a license???? seems like paying for the seem insurance twice...

Well it's kinda complicated to explain how Florida does this, but basically it's all about the coverage you get. Correct your insurance pays you whats referred to as PIP or Personal Injury Protection but only to certain limits and ramifications. Your insurance then will sue to get their money back from the at fault drivers insurance. The at fault drivers insurance also pays the coverage bought for Liability which is the amount they will pay directly to you if you are injured by their insured driver. The legal minium in Florida is 10,000, 20,000, 10,000 but I forgot what each refers to. Usually you have to hire an attorney to get anything within a reasonable amount of time. My lawyer said I was only qualified for $10,000 from the at fault insurance coveage since at that time I had no under insured coverage. Never really quite understood Florida's insurance practices but they 'say' that it helps the non faulting driver.

My State Farm policy...

Uninsured Motorist.
$250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident $103.54

The m\limits are the same as my policy. With my umbrella, it goes up to one million.

My State Farm policy...
Uninsured Motorist.
$250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident $103.54

The m\limits are the same as my policy. With my umbrella, it goes up to one million.

(Wow Tbones we both posted simultanousely)

rscalzo I have an umbrella too, so it must definitely be like Smitty said about the location zones and sales etc, because I was thinking the Umbrella might have made it go up but yours is very reasonable.

.. .. ... ... .. Still best to cover the bases as long as it does not take food off the table.

Yep I agree, and what kind of health care you have would also be a factor. If you've got great coverage with very low copays and deductibles that's fine. Otherwise 20% of a Hospital bill now a days can be astronomical.

Like with me my Employer chose 2-1/2 yrs ago to stop furnishing any health care at all. So I have to buy my own and at my age it ain't cheap. I got a catastrophic policy for $400 a month but it does not cover anything for the first $5000 and then after that it pays 100% except it would not cover any pre-existing conditions I had upon signing. But for me to get a decent copay plan I would had to pay $7800 a year in premiums even if I had perfect health with no injuries or problems. So I'm saving money so far at $4800 a yr premiums.

Some folks in my scenario tell me they don't buy health insurance at all, they just pay a little each month (forever) to the hospital in a crisis. I kinda feel that this ends up causing health costs to go up for the rest of us that do buy insurance. I don't really see how the Hospitals could just eat that loss.

But even so, I'll bet with no insurance they might admit you but you ain't gonna get as good a care while your there. Actually admittedly with my type of policy I would probably have to write them a large check at admittance or they would treat me the same way.

Course for me luckily for non emergency treatment I can just drive to Veterans Hospital over in Tampa for a very reasonable copay.

Back