free website stats program Unhappy Harley Owners?? Why?? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Unhappy Harley Owners?? Why??

Looks like there is a lot of diffferent reasons for Harley Ownership. For me, I am a tinkerer at heart (I'm presently building a high dollar Street Rod), so I guess I'm a gearhead, and Harleys appeal to that defect in me. In my earlier Years I used to Drag Race Bikes, and I think I finally got the urge to modify the engines in my Bikes out of my system (I hope :newsmile061:).

Harleys are not smoothed over, slicked up sewing machines, and I love that. I don't expect it to be totally trouble free (and it isn't)-you have to become intimate with it, and I think that turns some people off-they want to look cool, or enjoy the ride without the commitment it takes to own one. I have owned a lot of metric bikes (as well as a few Harleys)-like it or not, the metrics were less maintenance (and sometimes more reliable), but they just don't move me anymore like they did back when I raced.

Now, let's all turn to the East, and give reverence to the great and mighty MO-CO! :worthy

I love my HD and will never sell it. I will buy another. Do I think their a bit pricey yes, but no matter. I believe in the product and support the dealers attempt at making a living selling all the clothing and bling. I personally do not buy the clothes and I haven't adorned my scoot with skulls, live to ride or screaming eagle. I've got V&H pipes, Ness breather and aftermarket accessories not because there cheapest but because it's just what I preferred, just like the bike. Harleys rock plain and simple. All Hail Harley...:worthy
ok, off the soap box.:newsmile100::newsmile100:

Mine is my transportation not a weekend toy, It has to do it all or as much as practical, i just prefer to be on my bike. With all its quirks its made by man..

I did enjoy starting this thread. It gets alot of input from different sources! It seems to me, we are all in agreement, we love our Harleys and love being on 2 wheels!

Not Unhappy here ! I own a bunch of Harleys...13 + and none newer then 1968 ! Thank God!

My bike of choice that I ride here in Denver is my 1959 FLH that I bought from a Police Auction In Wi. 42 years ago!

Never owned or even sat on a (EDIT) !
Didnt vote for Obama...and I respect and stand behind Ted Nugent 100% !

Harleys Forever ! as long as there pre-1970 ! I have friends that work for Harley in Milwaukee....and I have owned them since I was 14 !

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason it seems as if folks are unhappy can be linked to the very nature of forums. If you look at any of the other manufacturer forums, and I belong to several, there seems to be a general lack of "good times" threads.

Folks use the forums to air their problems and find solutions, and just like newspapers, we tend to get the bad, and the good is largely ignored.

I would not trade my Nightster for anything, (right now). The service I have received from my local dealers has been very good. And yes, I have had a mechanical issue or two, (the latest being a header retention nut falling off), but then it would not be a Harley.

I will be in the market for a replacement touring bike in the not too distant future, and although there are more technologically advanced machines for this available, my focus keeps coming back to an Ultra; in part because of the fine folks here on this forum, in part from the dealer network available everywhere and in part from the nice people that my better half and I meet that are often on HD.

Ride safe everyone.

Jake

Not to be sinister, but the more I read these forums, the more it sounds like their is alot of bashing the Motoco. Yet all these people still own and ride Harleys and even trade, and get another. Not sure why this, if I don't like a product, I never buy it again. I grew up in Milwukee, and proud to say I own A Harley! The dealers I deal with are fair, and sell a good product. I am sorry to see so many people not liking The Harley Davisdon Brand. I have a buddy who has an 86 Road King 150,000 miles, using only genuine Motoco parts and lubes, and has never had a major failure. That speaks alot about the Company. What is everone elses opinion?

86 Roadking? I didn't think the Roadking was invented until 1994? Do you mean 96 instead of 86?

I can see people getting bummed out when they buy an outright "lemon". It is a lot of money to spend to only be getting something worked on all the time. Some folk do not get it that a Harley is very high maintenance. You have to stay on top of all that sort of thing. Lubricant changes, adjustments, tires, brakes...moreso than a car.
However I love owning and riding the ones that I have had (4) so much that I will keep buying them. Now this 03 Roadking that I have spins my beanie as much as it did when I bought in in Aug of 02. 43,700 miles and when I rode home last night I still feel the machine and I are a single unit. Some folk may not understand my premis.
I still run into folk that still think and allude to that presently all Harleys are junk. It is amazing how a reputation can linger in peoples minds for umphteen years. Of course most of these naysayers are riding a metric machine.
When I hear this bashing I can't help but enter into my Evolution V2 engine speech, or my Ribbed Drive Belt Speech, or my Engine mounted on rubber isolation mounting speech... Of course after all of my spouting the listener by then probably thinks they have just ran into a HD company lunatic.:newsmile100: I think a little Harley Davidson education is good for everyone's personal enhancement.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back