free website stats program unexpected shutdown | Harley Davidson Forums

unexpected shutdown

GSM2

so there i am riding on the interstate, going just fine and the fatboy dies.
engines just dies. electrially it works. let it cool for like 5 mins and started it right up. drove for about 10 mins and died again bikes got over half tank of fuel, spark plug wires connected... this sounds like it could be any number of things. anyone had any similar problems. some times it could go for a month fine, then die again. could the engine be missing? when i got the bike there were aftermarket pipes on it no baffels? not tuned right? i am stuck, any help would be great.
thanks

This could be an electronic component that has become heat sensative and I'm sure that others will give you guidence on how to proceed. Have you tried taking the gas cap off when it dies to see if it will crank up? I'm thinking it may be a venting problem.

As Don suggested, it sure sounds/can be a venting problem to me also.

Is the "shut down" a clean shut down with no backfiring. If you have no error codes logged (DTC'S) then I also would say look at fuel related items.. That year bike sure makes it a candidate for things like fuel pump pressure being low,, hi pressure hoses inside tank leaking, clogged fuel filter, fuel filter sock, fuel pump regulator releasing early etc etc. Checking your FI fuel pump pressure is a Must.

If it was electrical, I would say things like your headlight going out at same time, backfiring, logging DTC's etc would also be happening.

I have read that some of the tank mounted Ignition switchs, wear the ball contacts in the switch due to vibration, and die unexpectedly. But they will start right up after the switch is wiggled.

Back