free website stats program Unequal handle bars turning/steering | Harley Davidson Forums

Unequal handle bars turning/steering

Ken 1965

The handle bars on the Sportster I have rotate further (turning) to the left than the right; in fact the left turn light contacts the fuel tank prior to hitting the steering stop. Rotating the handle bars to the right is OK, i.e. contact is made with the steering stop before the right turn light hits the tank. Both steering stops look OK (not damaged). Any ideas? Thanks again for your help.

Ken

Make sure both turn lights are adjusted the same, one might have slipped down more.

Make sure you handlebars are not slightly bent on one side.

I seen you post this before,if you cannot see anything wrong yourself.
You should take your bike to someone (indy) or (dealer) and have it checked
out,i know this is not much help but i'am thinking of your safety.
Their is just so many things it could be.

Re: Front wheel rotates too far to the left

Ken 1965 said:
I have another question. The front wheel on the Sportster I have rotates further (turning) to the left; in fact the left turn light contacts the fuel tank prior to hitting the stop. Rotating the front wheel to the right hits the stop before contact with the turn light. The stops look OK. Any ideas? Thanks again for your help.
Ken

Ken,

Measure from the center out... Look for any abnormalities. Not remembering the lighting on your bike...

IF the stop is Not where it should be.... A spot Can be welded on that frame Knob,(IF that is the way it is set up)... I have heard of some drill and tap for a short headed screw there also to take up some space so it doesn't turn as far. I had a 97 FXDS but don't remember it for sight in thinking with out a picture....

I doubt IF the turning geometry is More to one side...

I had a friends bike that did about the same thing,,,,It was in the handle bars and the light not the same as the other side..

MEASURE first...

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the steering stops in place and has this bike ever been wrecked or tipped over? Are the handle bars centered in the risers?

Re: Front wheel rotates too far to the left

What Bubbie says makes sense for two reasons...many adjust the handlebars to a more comfortable position to fit, the other being the hand control cluster on either side as well as the signal mount angle can usually be adjusted symetrical, so they do not hit anything.

Personally I don't like them mounted there, but it is the widest part of the bike to meet DOT regulations here in the US.

Thanks Jack. I suspect the bike may have been 'dumped'.
Ken

I think it may have been tipped over. Thanks,
Ken

Your concern is appreciated. Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken; When you are driving straight down the road, everything on the front end
should look straight, equal distance from an imaginary line from gas cap to center of front tire. If the front has a slight tweek to the left or right, you can put the tire against a post (don't damage fender) and bump it a few times to get it centered. Any more than slightly tweeked should be checked by a reputable mechanic for safety reasons. Might be a good idea to have it checked by a mechanic anyhow.

I seen you post this before,if you cannot see anything wrong yourself.
You should take your bike to someone (indy) or (dealer) and have it checked
out,i know this is not much help but i'am thinking of your safety.
Their is just so many things it could be.

This was questioned in another thread Ken started.... It answered there and so maybe the Tank or another moderator will merge the two post mentioning the "Bars question"

I have a link below to it OR they may Not.:D

Oil light stays on after oil change - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Community

signed....BUBBIE

Back