free website stats program Understanding The Tach? | Harley Davidson Forums

Understanding The Tach?

I just had a tach added to my bike so that I could better understand what my engine is doing and when to shift, etc. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice about using the tach in ride...When to shift, where the tach should be at idol, when running, etc... Any guidance would be great. --Buck

Owner's manual should offer guidance on shift points. Then again, it may refer to speeds instead of RPM's. I would ride it like you've been riding it and see where those shift points are RPM wise. As long as you're not redlining it you should be OK. I think most folks upshift around 3000 but some probably wind it up higher than that. Idle should be just above 1000. These are simply my guesses, though.

I just had a tach added to my bike so that I could better understand what my engine is doing and when to shift, etc. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice about using the tach in ride...When to shift, where the tach should be at idol, when running, etc... Any guidance would be great. --Buck

Idle should be about 1000 rpm's. A comfortable shift point would be around 3500-4000 rpm's. Main thing is you don't want to lug the engine.

Thanks Glider,
I am idling a little over 1000, and running somewhere just over 2000 normally. I am shifting in the low 3000 range. Should I be running between shifting at a higher rpm than in the low 2000 range? Maybe I am shifting too soon? I have lugged the engine a time-or-two. Does that happen to most riders? Could I damage the engine if that happens? How can I avoid lugging the engine? --Buck

Thanks Glider,
I am idling a little over 1000, and running somewhere just over 2000 normally. I am shifting in the low 3000 range. Should I be running between shifting at a higher rpm than in the low 2000 range? Maybe I am shifting too soon? I have lugged the engine a time-or-two. Does that happen to most riders? Could I damage the engine if that happens? How can I avoid lugging the engine? --Buck

Best bet is to listen to the engine while observing the tach. You will get the sound of the engine associated with the proper RPM band to ride in. You would want to have the engine spinning over as opposed to lugging it by down shifting to the next lower gear. Lugging can be hard on the bottom end.

Thanks for all the input... As a newer rider I am finding my way and need all the advice I can get. You are all a great help. I think I do need to push the bike a little more. Thanks again... :)

Back