free website stats program Uncomfortrable on 2010 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Uncomfortrable on 2010 Ultra

Powder Horn

Even after spending $500 on a Harley backrest I can't get comfortable on this bike. My back, mostly upper, and shoulders ache after a few miles. I've rode bikes for years and never had this prob lem before. It feals like I am reaching for the handle bars. I am 5-11 and 180 lbs and my feet can sit flat on the pavement no problem. Before I waste more money does anyone else have this problem or a solution for it. Thanks.

What bikes have you ridden and felt comfortable on, maybe try to mimic that with your Ultra with like seat, bars, risers etc. Anything that makes you feel like you did on other comfortable bikes. If you feel like you are reaching for the bars you probably are reaching to far.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds a little like handlebar adjustment - are you doing the "closed eyes" test? If not, sit on bike, close eyes & put hands where you think the bars should be...then open & see where they really are. You can adjust existing bars, if enough reach, or might need to get taller/wider bars. Give it a try...

I would add to Iceman24's great suggestion to sit like you feel most comfortable or would want to sit...this might give you an idea on bars but also on seat or other changes. I once had a BMW RT that hurt my shoulders like crazy. simple risers bringing the bars back just a little fixed it quickly. I wouldnt mind moving my Ultra's bars a little but it is more involved and I havent yet needed to take the plunge due to pain....THAT is a great motivator.

Are you stretching to see over the windshield? That will definitely cause upper back pain. This might be the easiest change to correct complaint.

Sounds a little like handlebar adjustment - are you doing the "closed eyes" test? If not, sit on bike, close eyes & put hands where you think the bars should be...then open & see where they really are. You can adjust existing bars, if enough reach, or might need to get taller/wider bars. Give it a try...

Iceman has nailed it on this one,,, I really think if you follow his suggestion your problem will go away,, I had the same issue with my 08, did exactly what he said, it worked for me. Good Luck

I had the same problem on my 09 Ultra. I tried 3 different seats on the advise of 2 dealers, no help. Changed the bars to Klockworks ergo back. Best money I ever spent on the bike!

Definitely change the bars so you're not reaching for them. The "eyes closed test" is an excellent way of determining where your bars should be to be comfortable. I had exactly the problem you're having on a previous bike and as soon as I moved the bars back, all shoulder and upper back pain disappeared.

Even after spending $500 on a Harley backrest I can't get comfortable on this bike. My back, mostly upper, and shoulders ache after a few miles. I've rode bikes for years and never had this prob lem before. It feals like I am reaching for the handle bars. I am 5-11 and 180 lbs and my feet can sit flat on the pavement no problem. Before I waste more money does anyone else have this problem or a solution for it. Thanks.

Sounds to me like you got a couple good pieces of advice here. Iceman24 nailed it! Your handle bars are most likely your problem. However, stretching to see over your windshield won't help either. I'm an apehanger guy myself, so it's Cycle Smith 16" for me.

Eyes closed approach also works for foot and hand controls placement. All to often the rider "adapts" to the new bike rather than the other way around. There is a brochure at your dealer that shows the different ergos and seating styles. You will see the one that more closely matches and dealer is usually more than happy to help you get it right.

As Ice said, your hands should reach naturally to that sweet spot...typically with "low to neutral wrist" angle (this works for the so called "standard" riding position...Apes are a totally different feel and is something you have to work to get right.

Also, your feet should be relaxed with no strain in the shin or calf area. If you use heel and toe shifting, you need to have to get it just right so you can upshift and downshift with fluid movement. This is a good time to have a fellow rider hold the bike level and steady while you feel where the pressure points are in the saddle ergos for back rest if you are thinking of one or have one that needs to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Back