free website stats program umbrella valves | Harley Davidson Forums

umbrella valves

lowie

I just replaced the lower rocker box gaskets in my 98 1200S and noticed that there was only one umbrella valve in the head ,I only did the front one, I thought that there was two? if there is meant to be two why would anyone take one out? any ideas any thoughts would be appreciated, by the way ,any thoughts on synthetic oil causing leaks on older engines and no, I'm not trying to open a can of worms,see ya Lowie.

There is only one per head 2 on the bike according to my parts list

Brian

I just replaced the lower rocker box gaskets in my 98 1200S and noticed that there was only one umbrella valve in the head ,I only did the front one, I thought that there was two? if there is meant to be two why would anyone take one out? any ideas any thoughts would be appreciated, by the way ,any thoughts on synthetic oil causing leaks on older engines and no, I'm not trying to open a can of worms,see ya Lowie.

One per head Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community have a read here

Thanks for the replies, it put my mind at ease I was starting to think I might have to pull it down again to install another one, thanks again, lowie.

Sportster factory rocker gaskets are thin and eventually need replacing. My 2001 had them replaced and I run full syn oil. Runs great.

The ones that I replaced were very thin and brittle with the oil leaking through the cracks in them,the new gaskets are factory but different material and they are now one piece instead of two so they were easy to hold in place,thanks for your comments,see ya Lowie.

The single piece metal lower rocker gasket is a big improvement on the 2 piece paper one they dont fall apart and stick to the engine like the paper ones

Brian

Back