free website stats program Ultra's Overheating Stators? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra's Overheating Stators?

leo13

I was going to use my 30% off coupon to put lowers on my 2008 FLHTC, but after talking to 2 Ultra owner (both 2008s) I'm having second thoughts. They have both had stators overheat resulting in charging system failure (one has had it twice), both fixed under warranty. It just makes me wonder if the lowers contribute in any way.

Have any other Ultra owners experienced this problem? Any classic owners?

I was going to use my 30% off coupon to put lowers on my 2008 FLHTC, but after talking to 2 Ultra owner (both 2008s) I'm having second thoughts. They have both had stators overheat resulting in charging system failure (one has had it twice), both fixed under warranty. It just makes me wonder if the lowers contribute in any way.

Overheating? I have had a number of stators short out and toast the insulation and lubricant. I am not sure this is due to "overheating", but rather the fact that the stator (and rotor) live in an environment that can best be described as a metal slurry. Little bits of metal carried to the stator by the lubricant and attacted by the magnets in the rotor to bombard the stator coils. Not the ideal environment for an alternator, but the one we got!!

Having said that, I remove my lowers in the Spring and don't put them back on until the Late Fall or early Winter. But I do not think that impacts the stator or even the rest of the engine as much as it does me.

TQ

There are a lot of ultra's that have never had the lowers removed. I've never heard of ultra's having more stator problems than classics/stds. If you are not in love with the look of hard lowers, and it's just cold/wet protection you want, look into "soft" lowers. There are several brands. I just got some for less than $50 and am quite happy. On/off in seconds,good protection, and don't look bad,, IMO.

TQ is spot on regarding the conditions where the stator lives. Add to that if fasteners are loose (older models) or charging system abuse i.e. running alternator only because of poor battery condition also means it is having to produce even more power it only increases the heat and load on it (newer bikes need lots of power for all the electronics, EFI, ECM etc...!

FIRST OFF WERE THEY USING SYN3 THE SIN OIL....

IF SO I WOULD SAY THAT WAS A LOT OF PROBLEM.....

NO LOWERS OR restrictions on my sport bike and using proper gear oil syn. made for tranny and chain case....

I have gone thru 4 stators and v.reg. on my 2006 sport 1200R.....
I attribute the problem FINALLY being a bad battery(second one)...

4th stator now in bike and working fine...

Last BURNED OUT STATOR was out of warranty BUT harley BOT all new parts if I allowed HD shop to replace : I offered the LEMON LAW and BINGO

NEW battery - v.reg. - stator and I agreed to pay for LABOR ....

when the problems came up before 3th time AGAIN only v.reg. and stator were replaced...

NEW battery (second one) seemed to do the trick...

Only time will tell.... not much riding the sport since the new FLHR came into the picture... AND COOOOOOOOLD WEATHER...

signed....BUBBIE

TQ & New, should this guy consider people letn the battery die down too?? I got a buddy who has had 2 Ultra's a 95 and a 07, he puts a ton o miles on his bike and has never replaced a stator and never removed the lowers. His wifes 02 Dyna sits for months and has had 2 stators & 3 batteries replaced. Both bikes have Redline in em, both ridden in the same sort of weather. I always kinda thought her bike just sits too much, hence the electrical problems......................

I put them on my 09 Road King day 1. >7000 mi. In sunny CA, and no problem. Makes my RK look "buff" and when
it is cold (not often) legs are warm n toasty
WAP.gif

gotta 07 UC myself and the only time I've had the lowers off is to wash & wax and then put them back on. In July from Bourbon , Mo. to Sturgis , SD and back - via Iowa, S.D.,Wyo.,back to S.D.,down to Neb. , Ks. and then home - so far so good!! JMO - don't think the lowers have anything to do with your Ultra owner's problem with the stator!! BUT- I might be wrong also.

As Bubbie found out, your electrical system is BATTERY operated by design...the charging system is made to SUPPLEMENT that power delivery. Once up to speed, the alternator is essentially "coasting" as most of the excess energy is "shunted" by the regulator and battery if in good shape is float charging.

When just starting, the alternator is essentially off and the battery is powering everything, Fuel Pump, EFI, ECM, Headlamp, Instrument, cornering lights etc. and then BAM you hit it with the 250A starter/solenoid draw for x seconds...which immediately takes away the surface charge of the battery (reserve) and the stored CCA within is the only thing sustaining the works.

As you guessed, if the battery has internal shorts, weak or damaged cells, it really will stress out your charging system, so once your stator overheats trying to keep everything running including making up for the battery losses it will fry...plain and simple. Having lowers on an Ultra will have no bearing on local overheating of stator windings.

Last edited:
After 2 UC's and close to 100k miles, I 've had to replace one stator and one regulator. I don't think this was from the lowers, just harsh envoriment as stated above. I don't take my lowers off.

Back