free website stats program Ultra starting Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra starting Problem

flhtcu95

I have a 1995 Ultra with a starting issue. When the bike is cold and engaging the starter button I get a click at the starter, but the starter will not engage. Most of the time the delay is for one or two seconds, and then the starter will engage. Once the bike is warm, the problem is gone until it cools back off again. The battery is new and stays on a battery tender. I read in American Iron magazine where someone described the same problem, but their response was inadequate.

Check your battery Cables make sure tight esp ground.. also check the starter solenoid

I know the cause of this problem in the gear reduction starters is the contacts inside the cover on the solenoid. Remove the 3 bolts to the coverand look inside. There are 2, sometimes horseshoe shaped contacts that are connected with the battery cable to starter post and the post that sends power to the starter from the solenoid, there should be a plunger with a disc that makes connection on the contact plates, these 3 parts are probly worn down, I have seen them be paper thin. also there is a small ball bearing at the bottom of the pin of the plunger, don't loose it, hold the body of the starter so the cover you removed is up when you take it apart. I am not sure but you could take these parts to a local starter / alt rebuilder and get new parts for about $30.00 or less. time invalved with starter off is about 1/2 hr.

I have a 1995 Ultra with a starting issue. When the bike is cold and engaging the starter button I get a click at the starter, but the starter will not engage. Most of the time the delay is for one or two seconds, and then the starter will engage. Once the bike is warm, the problem is gone until it cools back off again. The battery is new and stays on a battery tender. I read in American Iron magazine where someone described the same problem, but their response was inadequate.

Remove and wire brush each lead on both mating surfaces of each lead (neg off first and on last). Do the same at the starter.

Check this out:

Testing Battery Cables - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

had the same problem on my 2003 the battery cables look clean but had corrotion and you could also check your ground to the frame it my not have a good connection or even the connection on the starter itself

Not sure if this is appl. here -- but have you checked all of your fuses for corrosion??

I know the cause of this problem in the gear reduction starters is the contacts inside the cover on the solenoid. Remove the 3 bolts to the coverand look inside. There are 2, sometimes horseshoe shaped contacts that are connected with the battery cable to starter post and the post that sends power to the starter from the solenoid, there should be a plunger with a disc that makes connection on the contact plates, these 3 parts are probly worn down, I have seen them be paper thin. also there is a small ball bearing at the bottom of the pin of the plunger, don't loose it, hold the body of the starter so the cover you removed is up when you take it apart. I am not sure but you could take these parts to a local starter / alt rebuilder and get new parts for about $30.00 or less. time invalved with starter off is about 1/2 hr.

I had same issue on mine.. and after replacing the contacts the problem was gone

Back