free website stats program Ultra owners, how do you endure the buffeting? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra owners, how do you endure the buffeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried 4",6",8" and 4" 6" windvest with not luck stopping it. I use a fullface helmet and that may add to the buffeting. I used a 12" shield and that did work. I have a street glide and like the lower shield. I also installed the air baffle under my batwing and side air deflectors none worked we'll for me. I think it comes down to a good helmet and ear plugs.

I have to agree with you on the buffetting on my '09 FLHT. I've tried a wind vest, klockwerks, 10" and 12" harley windshields. I installed the fairing deflectors. I've tried it with and without the leg gurads. So I've dropped about 2 grand for nothing. I've tried several different helmets... no help. I haven't a clue as to why some folks have no problem. I certainly do. LOL in your quest. BTW, My road king with no fairing is probably the most plesant motorcycle I've ever owned. Go figure....
flhrrider

By the way, I never, EVER, felt I had to "endure" any perceived "buffeting". That seems like an awfully harsh assessment, and I understand why some of the guys may have felt the comment was designed to stir the pot, especially when the OP lists his bike as a non-Harley, on a site clearly dedicated to Harley riders. (So, what is he doing here?)

What am I doing here? I stated that I was considering buying a H-D Touring and I also said there was a lot to like about the Limited I test-rode. But I found a troublesome aspect and wanted to know if there’s a proven solution for it. That‘s why I have come to this forum.

What I have learned instead is that many – though not all! – Harley riders are feisty snobs refusing to even admit there might be a design problem with their motorcycle of choice.

I will probably buy the FLHT anyway, try different shields and learn to cruise at 70 mph on the motorways, because I am still attracted by heritage, looks and immense mechanical character of the machine. But you are absolutely right to say that I "most likely will NEVER be a significant member of our community!" Based on some reactions here I am confident that this is not a community I aspire to be part of.

Have a good time here guys, clapping each other’s back for having the ultimate FLAWLESS motorcycle. But do not wonder why all the rest of motorcycling comunity worlwide keep laughing at you.

Cerv - Harley riders are "Just" like other riders...they are emotionally and mentally bonded to their rides...ever dated a gal who owned a horse...same thing only 1 horsepower instead of 100. Don't be so hard on us...even I who have only been a Harley rider for almost 3 years was surprised as well, not so much snobbery by what is traditionally referred to as a life "style". Don't let "others" make decisions for you or make premature judgements.

Buffetting is a physical phenom, not the emotional rollercoaster or basis for harsh words. BMW was made aerodynamically for Autobahn speeds up to 100+, and while HD does wind tunnel testing, they go with an audience that watches their every move closely...many HD riders choose to have the wind in their face sans a fairing entirely....and even BMW has surrendered to that fact with many of their bikes as well. I think that it is the combination of your helmet/gear and options that you experienced a problem and your symptom is not reflected by many, and like I said before, personal expectations as well as your configuration has a lot to do with your dissatisfaction. Name calling is just a label and I choose not to put it to the HD readers...that is what is defined as flaming and already got several in a turmoil over this. Calm down, your original post was sound and detailed, judged on content and not words.

Just did 220 miles on my 09 FLHT running a Klockwerks. I agree with some of the others about traffic and crosswind adding to the buffeting issue. I am 6,2 and my neck gets sore if I get caught up in big truck traffic running 70-80mph. Get out by myself with no traffic around and it does great. Because of this I tend to gravitate to secondary rds. More to see on them anyway. My 3/4 helmet with face shield is awful on the interstate but very nice at low speeds. Full face does a better job on the big roads.
One last thing I notice is that if I keep my knees close to the tank it makes a big difference.

What am I doing here? I stated that I was considering buying a H-D Touring and I also said there was a lot to like about the Limited I test-rode. But I found a troublesome aspect and wanted to know if there’s a proven solution for it. That‘s why I have come to this forum.

What I have learned instead is that many – though not all! – Harley riders are feisty snobs refusing to even admit there might be a design problem with their motorcycle of choice.

I will probably buy the FLHT anyway, try different shields and learn to cruise at 70 mph on the motorways, because I am still attracted by heritage, looks and immense mechanical character of the machine. But you are absolutely right to say that I "most likely will NEVER be a significant member of our community!" Based on some reactions here I am confident that this is not a community I aspire to be part of.

Have a good time here guys, clapping each other’s back for having the ultimate FLAWLESS motorcycle. But do not wonder why all the rest of motorcycling comunity worlwide keep laughing at you.

But not as much as they are laughing at YOU!

It looks as if this wannabee has overstayed their welcome on the forum.

We'll lock this thread and bid him a farewell too.

Poofclean-1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back