free website stats program Ultra-Limited Modified to Street Glide style or just get a Street Glide? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra-Limited Modified to Street Glide style or just get a Street Glide?

Monolith

Howdy,

As always this site has been an awesome place for information and ideas. I currently own a 2006 Heritage and my wife rides a 2007 Sportster 1200 low. We have moved those bikes to our Winter home in AZ and are getting some new ones to use as our primary bikes. My wife is in love with the Deluxe and I am upgrading to a Street Glide. I debated the Rode Glide for a while but I just cannot fall in love with the looks and it may be shallow but I am never going to be happy if I don’t love the way my bike looks and rides. I am going to be buying it in the next couple weeks.

My question is really about whether to buy the Ultra Limited, then change the turn signals, mirrors, make the trunk detachable, remove the front and rear bumpers, change the rear tail light, install smaller street glide shocks and install a street glide wind screen or should I just get a Street Glide and upgrade the rims, add heated grips, detachable trunk, oil cooler and upgrade the engine to a 103.

From peoples experience is it easier and more cost effective to add to a bike, or take away/change? According to estimates it’s about $4,500 to modify the Ultra Limited to get it more like a street glide. I don’t have an estimate yet to go the other direction.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Monolith

You want a street glide get a street glide, that's my thought's. It's all there, just add what you want is better then converting is my experience. Congrats, you'll love it either way you go it's the coolest and best handling touring bike out there. In my humble opinion. What color?

Red Hot Sunglow if I get a 2010, if I could find a 2009 I would probably get the Root Beer two tone.

If I do go Street Glide, does it really matter if it's 2009 or 2010? I will replace the exhaust anyway, and is the 5th gear whine that notecable after break in?

Monolith

I wanted a SG but opted for the Ultra for our two up riding. Love the bike but can't go by a SG and wonder. If your better half has her own two wheels, go for the street glide :D

Red Hot Sunglow if I get a 2010, if I could find a 2009 I would probably get the Root Beer two tone.

If I do go Street Glide, does it really matter if it's 2009 or 2010? I will replace the exhaust anyway, and is the 5th gear whine that notecable after break in?

Monolith
Red Hot Sunglow, Cool!
I would like the new trans, you're changing ex. so don't matter there, they have heated o2 senors, foot board bracket change with added bolt, saddlebag bracket improvement, Brembo Front Plastic Master Cylinder Piston, that's about all I can think off off top of my head on 09 to 10 changes. Red line or 6-speed gear oil takes care of the trans. wine I think, so if you can get a good enought deal on a 09 you might think about it and Root Beer is a every cool color also.

I wish there was a way to search all dealerships used bike selection. I would love to find a 2009 Root Beer Street Glide. But it is my understanding that 300 of each custom color/bike combo are made. So only 300 Root Beer street glides on the road.

I'm biased but I would definitely start with the SG and add to it if your wife is riding her own bike. Fifth gear whine is a non problem for me - Spectro in the tranny and crank up the tunes!

I would get the 09 streetglide and immediately change fluids to mobil 1 full synthetic, spectro 6speed for tranny and redline. You will immediately want a better windshield for your batwing...I am 6 ft and the 8.5 clearview works well for me. Check for the break in procedures listed hear as it will help seat everything real well. I am partial to the FLHX as I own one but I was unsure as you are and decided after riding the glide that it was right for me. Pick up a 09 and save big bucks that can then be used to make it perfect for your needs. I sold my business last year and took the summer off to get a good ride in. I am very pleased. Things you should have dealer do for you before purchase...change out the Dunlop 407f for the newer 408f as I and many others have had cupping issues and they will replace it per the MOCO. Do not let them put Harley syn 3 in all holes...it is junk and you will be changing it (at your cost) immediately...I learned the hard way. Make sure they take care of the tank mount fix again per MOCO...just a 10 minute fix but its at there expense. Again I am partial but I dont have any regrets and trust me I needed to get this purchase right as my wife has seen me buy a new bike every other year for the duration of our marriage and I promised this would be "the one"..and it is.:s

Do you have any details or a link for information about the two MOCO updates you mentioned. The tires and the tank change? I would want to arm myself with the right information before asking, just in case.

I'd recommend buying a SG, why pay extra for the limited if you're just going to strip it. Have the dealer put on the stage 2 103 kit (255 cams) and now you have a stronger motor than the limited. Drop in some HogTunes and ride it like you stole it.....

Back