free website stats program Ultra Limited Compensator | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Limited Compensator

Any pics of the filing you had to do with the SE part? I was not aware that would be needed. This is a planned mod for my Limited when it finally arrives.

comp6.jpg

shows a pic by gs34 of grinding area. Just cutting back a little on the ridge or flash of the inner primary as stated above and does not effect the gasket seal area. A Rotary file 1/2 inch by 7/8 inch long fits in a 1/4 inch drill on very low speed worked very well for me. Bought at ACE hardware, ~ $6.

Self Help Tips -> Transmission, Clutch and Primary -> #23 Compensator Kit
There’s an excellent write up by gs34, with pix: Compensator Kit - Harley Davidson Community

Do you HAVE to remove the starter in order to remove (or move) the inner primary cover if I did not want to do the grinding part. Knowing my luck I would grind the cover and then have an un-stop-able oil leak. It appears the worst part would be having to remove the jack shaft and starter since you already have the primary chain, clutch basket out...?..

Do you HAVE to remove the starter in order to remove (or move) the inner primary cover if I did not want to do the grinding part. Knowing my luck I would grind the cover and then have an un-stop-able oil leak. It appears the worst part would be having to remove the jack shaft and starter since you already have the primary chain, clutch basket out...?..

You won't be grinding anywhere near enough material to cause a leak. Plus, it's on the inside of the primary (parallel to the ground) not on the surface where the gasket goes (perpindicular to the ground.)

In the end does this get rid of the annoying rattle in the primary? Mine rattles like crazy at idle and low speeds.

Try this before you decide to spend the money on a new compensator:

Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

The chain adjustment may or may not reduce the noise/rattle. The noise comes from the weak spring pack and the constant rattle of the sliding cam and the ramps on the sprocket. The chain adjustment does nothing for the start-up clunk. The SE comp eliminates all the rattles and start klunk, is smoother operating, and will not allow the sliding cam to go over center on the ramps (this happens on my stock comp under moderate to agressive launches from stop). With only 3400 miles, there was noticeable wear on my stock sprocket ramps. I filed my inner primary rather than removing it so I wouldn't need to reseal the engine case, trans case, and main shaft. To remove the inner primary it is necessary to unbolt the starter. The end result is well worth the $240 investment (SE comp, gaskets, oil, shipping) and 90 minutes of easy labor.

You won't be grinding anywhere near enough material to cause a leak. Plus, it's on the inside of the primary (parallel to the ground) not on the surface where the gasket goes (perpindicular to the ground.)

Oh, it's Not on the gasket surface. I understand now. Thanks Doc!

and 90 minutes of easy labor.

90 minutes! I was going to allow myself a good day for that job. Let me guess. Your 25 years old & have 20/20 vision..:D:D

If I drop a screw, its an all day job.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
90 minutes! I was going to allow myself a good day for that job. Let me guess. Your 25 years old & have 20/20 vision..:D:D

nope - was 25 40 years ago, but been playin with these contraptions for about 50 years.

I'm with you - I've learned over the years to take my initial estimate of how long a job will take and multiply it by three. Let's see, 90 minutes times 3, yep, all day job for me too when you throw in the coffee and "frustration" breaks!

My rule for a first time is double the estimate, then multiply by 2. :D Dealer had quoted 2.5 hrs. But, the good Dr would've been right on with the x3. Plan was session 1 remove; session 2 replace. Worked well to satisfy need to explore and accommodate the leisure and fun factor of this first wrenching.

Items that added time: Revisit with the file (and site preparation) as the new rotor didn’t quite slide on (used feeler gauges to find binding spots and shave an absolute minimal); overly meticulous clean up of filings; tapped the existing holes (just short of going through) in the new rotor to aid any future removal and maximize the filing effort.

Back