free website stats program Ultra faster in 5th than 6th gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra faster in 5th than 6th gear

Rebyl

Banned
My Buddy down South was telling me that him and his lady got into a bit of a battle with a cage driver and the cage was pulling away from him, my Buddy says he was tapped out in 6th so in frustration he dropped her to 5th and strangled the throttle as hard as he could go and he increased his spped by 10 kph.... the cage still pulled away from him though:D....not to surprising as the car was a real hot V8:newsmile03:.

Is this a question or a statement? Not a good idea to (edit) cagers, they have all the advantage. I learned years ago, no matter how stupid they get, I don't lose my cool...just not worth trading road rage insults with a cager...

As far as I can recall, it was well documented by many that if indeed you needed to accelerate while in 6th gear you would need to drop down to 5th gear.
I was aware of this before getting my 09 Street Glide, and pretty much that is the case. I don't find much cause to be in 6th unless I'm on a open road with no one around but the cactus.

Yep - 6th gear is intended to be an overdrive - pretty much only for use on level roads at a constant speed above 65MPH or so.

I also have to second the comment about not getting into ANY kind of battle with folks in 4 wheeled vehicles. Heck, they're just jealous!

The 6th gear is more or less an "overdrive" for crusing at a stead speed on more or less level ground. More get up and go in 5th.

Sixth gear becomes a lot more usable with a little engine work - you won't have to down shift to get her moving when its got the power it should have

UD

Sixth gear becomes a lot more usable with a little engine work - you won't have to down shift to get her moving when its got the power it should have
UD
Awe...this is true, but if you have the extra power, 5th is still pretty much the quicker in ET's in passing. I really don't use 6th no matter what, :D, of course. But, I've found that 5th will pull pretty darn hard when passing if you do have the extra power as mentioned. Power is a good thing. :D
Ugly John

I don't use 6th gear until I'm at 70mph but once I'm there, I find that the Ultra will climb hills, etc. just fine without a downshift. However, If you really want to accelerate hard then a downshift is the way to go.

I use 6th just like its another gear. I do not know if 5th is faster, but I'm eager to find out. Will advise when the test is complete:newsmile045:.

I use 6th occasionally when I get up around 60 or so. Usually 4th or 5th suits me just fine... puttin' around at 2000 - 2300 R's. Love the sound. Kind of a low rumble.

Back