free website stats program ultra cool install questions | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

ultra cool install questions

Glider, when given gas it immediately smooths out and when put back at idle it runs smooth for maybe 5 secs and then begins to run rough. If I don't interfere it will stall out.

Is the engine at the temp where the heat mgmt would be kicking in? What if you put a fan in front of the bike and does it do this when riding it too?

It starts studdering at around 210*, but that is with the bike sitting at idle the entire time. When riding HM generally kicks on at around 230*. HM is set to kick on when the head temp reaches 287*,i have no way of knowing what the head temp is. Also, I've hhad this TFI installed for quite awhile with no problems.

It starts studdering at around 210*, but that is with the bike sitting at idle the entire time.

From idle sitting still to an oil temp of 210*. I can promise you your cylinder temp is at 300*. No question about it.

Your heat management is kicking in. Either your front cylinder is truly at 300*, (which is not at all hard to do with a 96" or 103") or your ET sensor is out of spec and is reading high when it is not.

OK. I disabled the HM and fired the bike up, rode it a little bit and let it sit and idle until my gauge read almost 220*..she never studdered, kept a smooth idle the whole time. Apparently it is the HM kicking on, never would have thought that. Anyway, that riddle is solved. My fan never turned on either but I did get the thermal switch in the mail so I will change it out tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

UPDATE: Installed the thermal switch, fan is working. So, what have I learned from this little episode? One, that a TFI (at least the older version) can have an effect on the Heat Management system which makes the bike stall when too hot and TWo, that I ain't near the wrench I thought I was...this project was so frustrating. It was messy, time consuming and the area was way too tight for my hands. Working in that confined area added a lot of time to the job. Anyway, I'm happy with the finished product. thanx for all the help, guys.

UPDATE: Installed the thermal switch, fan is working. So, what have I learned from this little episode? One, that a TFI (at least the older version) can have an effect on the Heat Management system which makes the bike stall when too hot and TWo, that I ain't near the wrench I thought I was...this project was so frustrating. It was messy, time consuming and the area was way too tight for my hands. Working in that confined area added a lot of time to the job. Anyway, I'm happy with the finished product. thanx for all the help, guys.

Thats great news Mav. Glad you got it all sorted out and finished. Now, ride it like you stole it!

Bodeen

UPDATE:
I've got close to 300 miles with the oil cooler. So far it has performed as advertised. Seems to have dropped the oil temperature around 15*, so I'm happy with it.

Back