free website stats program ultra cool install questions | Harley Davidson Forums

ultra cool install questions

Mavagrand

Installed the ultfra cool oil cooler. It was trickier than I thought it would be so took a little long er
Anyway fired the bike up to let it idle until the fan came on and checked for leaks. It wne well untgil
The fan kicked on. Bike immediately began to studder and stall. Also the coolerbleaked like crazy
Think the hoses weren't tight. Anyway tightened the hoses today fired it up and this time thd bike stalledbe
Befor the fan came on. I'm thinking something electrical with fan. I also noticed my right rear
Tuen signal is blown. Any thoughts on how installing cooler would make bike run ruff.
While bike was sputtering the oil pressure and volts were reading fine. Thanks.
WAP.gif

Installed the ultfra cool oil cooler. It was trickier than I thought it would be so took a little long er
Anyway fired the bike up to let it idle until the fan came on and checked for leaks. It wne well untgil
The fan kicked on. Bike immediately began to studder and stall. Also the coolerbleaked like crazy
Think the hoses weren't tight. Anyway tightened the hoses today fired it up and this time thd bike stalledbe
Befor the fan came on. I'm thinking something electrical with fan. I also noticed my right rear
Tuen signal is blown. Any thoughts on how installing cooler would make bike run ruff.
While bike was sputtering the oil pressure and volts were reading fine. Thanks.
WAP.gif
Can you remove the fan and bench test it with a volt meter and battery charger to see how much volts it takes to run it? Could be a short in the windings of the motor?

I could jack but don't think that is the problem as the bike stalled this time before the fan kicked on. I tend to overcomplicate things but one of the hoses is bent at a pretty severe angle, I'm wondering it that is restricting oil flow. Is there a sensor on the bike that would be affected by the restricted oil flow? There were no leaks that I could see but I'm not sure if the thermostat on the cooler ever opened. Would a bad ground on the fan cause it to act this way?

I could jack but don't think that is the problem as the bike stalled this time before the fan kicked on. I tend to overcomplicate things but one of the hoses is bent at a pretty severe angle, I'm wondering it that is restricting oil flow. Is there a sensor on the bike that would be affected by the restricted oil flow? There were no leaks that I could see but I'm not sure if the thermostat on the cooler ever opened. Would a bad ground on the fan cause it to act this way?

How about cut the power to the fan , see if it stalls the engine, fix that kink in the line if you can, do not want any more restriction in an oil line:s

I am assuming you have left a message for the manufacturer. I would think that they have had customers experience this before and wil know what the solution is. It is very frustrating to make a change that you hope will be an improvement and then have these types of complications. Have you gone through the installation process to verify that all the wiring is correct with no crossed wires or bare wires? Good luck and keep us posted.

If oil line is kinked and the flow is restricted the bike will kick the "no oil pressure" sensor into action and shut the bike down before major damage occurs. I recommend straighten oil line out first and cut power to fan, start bike... if it runs good then you know it is not an oil problem. Now add power to fan. If bike stalls out then it is a power problem.

If oil line is kinked and the flow is restricted the bike will kick the "no oil pressure" sensor into action and shut the bike down before major damage occurs. I recommend straighten oil line out first and cut power to fan, start bike... if it runs good then you know it is not an oil problem. Now add power to fan. If bike stalls out then it is a power problem.

Slapp, appreciate the input. I wasn't aware of a "no oil pressure" sensor and couldn't find it in the service manual but what you say makes sense. I will try this when I get home.

OK. Got home from work, reworked the hose, the kink is now out..almost. It's a lot smaller than it was. Fired the bike up and...the same thing. It got to around 200* and started cutting out. The oil pressure was good, voltage was good and, if I gave her throttle she would run smooth. The fan never cut on...I apprecaite all the input I've gotten thus far, tomorrow I'll go through the wiring to make sure it's all good, 'cause that's what it is acting like. Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Got home from work, reworked the hose, the kink is now out..almost. It's a lot smaller than it was. Fired the bike up and...the same thing. It got to around 200* and started cutting out. The oil pressure was good, voltage was good and, if I gave her throttle she would run smooth. The fan never cut on...I apprecaite all the input I've gotten thus far, tomorrow I'll go through the wiring to make sure it's all good, 'cause that's what it is acting like. Any other ideas?

How does it do with the fan unplugged? I would check that just because, then you could start to look at the wires:s

Is it possible that when the engine gets warm enough, it goes into "parade mode" (I forgot the real name) and shuts down the rear cylinder? This would cause the rough idle until you roll the throttle a litte.

Is it possible that when the engine gets warm enough, it goes into "parade mode" (I forgot the real name) and shuts down the rear cylinder? This would cause the rough idle until you roll the throttle a litte.

It's not the EITMS system, my bike used to go into that all the time. I forgot to mention yesterday when I had this same problem my right rear turn signal wouoldn't work..tonight it was working. This makes me wonder if it isian intermittent ground problem somewhere. I'll unplug the fan tomorrow, Jack and see what happens then.

Back