free website stats program Ultra Cool Fan/Oil Cooler; thoughts? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Cool Fan/Oil Cooler; thoughts?

Man, at $500 it better work & be made out of some form of "precious metal.":s

My sediments exactly...besides the obvious one, the eye candy model looks great, just no specs on the item to close the deal. My way of thinking, if you can't make the sale by presenting your product in the best possible "light" don't dig down into marketing bliss...it's been done and failed too many times before. :newsmile055: and yes, the cost of admission is way high without details or specs to make me slam my money on the counter.:newsmile093:

As for effectiveness, the HD Parts & Accessories catalog should be the first "look" for getting a bit of background into the HD & Jagg types...noting their plus (availability, price and effectiveness) verses their minus (some are bulky and kinda "hang out there", while the softail one nestled in the frame looks great and with a bit of chrome looks mighty "trick". So do your homework, and don't rely on fancy eye candy or marketing ploys without doing a bit of research before hand. Yes, by all means SEARCH our website and use the SELF HELP TIPS to see how it is installed and if there are any foibles...we are all here to help each other! :s

Last edited:
I built an oil cooler cage for a friend who had a trike a few years back. Since he had lots of space to incorporate the shroud I made it was no problem. I basically built a shroud with two small 12 volt fans in it from Radio Shack. It was designed so that when he was in traffic all he had to do was flip a switch and the fans would blow across the oil cooler. It actually lowered the oil temp on 98 degree day by about 16 degrees. Worked real well for his purpose but would not recommend running it while doing 80 down the highway unless it was redesigned a little.
My point is… that if designed small and efficient enough it is a great idea.

Actually Slapp has a good idea for the DIYer, as quality fans w/ ball bearing and rugged design are actually around $100 in commercial grade sealed ball bearing and $800 and up (each!) in military grade sealed, ruggedized and tested as such...so Slapps' derating method (shut off only when needed and don't use in extremely low temperature) saves the need for more expensive fans (though ball bearing sealed type is preferred).

The Ultra Cool fan is an an awesome unit. I was going to put one on my bike, but after talking to the Harley service manager he felt it was overkill, so I ended up going with the harley cooler. He said if the weather was hotter than what we get that would have been the way to go. good Luck.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought one....once the snow clears and I head down south for some riding this summer I will post my findings....I got a smoking deal as a friend bought the exclusive Canadian Distributor rights so even the MOCO has to buy it from him....it was not cheap.....but I like the idea of being stopped in traffic, construction etc and a fan aids the cooling.....if any Canadian brothers are interested in one I will put you in touch with him.....he is a solid guy.

Congrats Pipes, was it much work to install? Keep us posted on how you like it, only draw back I have seen with cooling fans on harleys is the ones we used to put on local police bikes and they would crack mounts & rattle or the bearings were always going out, the noise would drive the officers crazy, now with the new heat management system we don't install them anymore, never had problems with fans on V-Rods though, interesting to see how it holds up.

It was easy to install Chopper! They did it for free! My bike is there getting the engine big bore kit and newly ported heads installed with cams.....this place is incredible to deal with if you are North of the Border. I was talking to a fellow in TX who did his own install and it took him about 3 hours taking his time and he swears by the unit. Now i know his temps are hotter than mine...but peace of mind is nice for traffic snarls and construction zones. I was going to paint the fan shroud vivid blk to match my bike but the cover actually matches the air vents on my lowers so it all blends nicely.....and I am sure it would require a lot of chip repairs due to its location if it was painted.

Sounds great, would like to see some pic's when you get her back, also what's the name of the shop incase any of us ever make it up that way? Good shops are hard to find these days.

Pipes, glad you're happy with your cooler. Let us know if how it works. As far as duplicate posts go, I've seen a zillion posts here about Rinehart slip-ons so don't worry about duplicate posts. I try to use the search engine but there are times when I appreciate fresh ideas concerning my question. Again, let us know how it works and pictures are great!

Back