free website stats program Ultra Classic: Tubed Tires vs. Tubeless | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Classic: Tubed Tires vs. Tubeless

Cyclops

Just curious of other's thoughts. I purchased my 09 Ultra Classic with the Chromed Aluminum Profile Laced wheels which are tubed. However, after riding with a buddy who encountered a flat tire and was able to plug it, air it back up and still finish our ride (where the dealership was able to replace his tire), I am now interested in replacing my wheels to the 28 Spoke Aluminum wheels, which are tubeless. After all, if it were I who had the flat I would have had to sit there and wait for transportaion.

Any pros/cons from fellow riders of tubed vs. tubeless tires?

If I purchase used 28 Spoke Aluminum wheels, which are tubed, can I use the rotors/pulleys/bearings/etc from my current wheels? Bike has ABS.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

ABS bearings have a magnet in them. You'll need them. There's usually a set or two of wheels on ebay. It's probably dicey which bearings are in them. VegasRob

Last year I changed the wheels on my bike to the cast wheels because of the ability to repair a punctured tire. Plus after a while the old spoke wheels would get a rust build up eventually requiring replacement. Plus when you change your tires it will cost you $20 for a tube and $3 for a rim strip every time.
kemo

I love the look of spokes, but hate running tubes in my tires. As was said before, getting a flat on a tire with a tube in it is always a bigger hassle.

I have read that tubeless tires run cooler - don't know why - and in theory the tire would last longer. It may not be true but that is what I read somewhere.

I have read that tubeless tires run cooler - don't know why - and in theory the tire would last longer. It may not be true but that is what I read somewhere.

Because the tyre and tube rub together as the tyre hits bumps and lumps and deforms to conform to the road surface and that rub will create heat
rubber gets softer the hotter it gets which is good for grip but bad for tyre wear

Brian

I am also in the market for cast rims to replace my laced spokes, for the reasons listed and others. I like the looks of the 9 spoke cast. Prefer chromed but I could also get away with gloss black powder coated with my blackwall tires (spent more time trying to keep white walls white than riding).

I got my cast rims on eBay for $150 plus $35 shipping. I ran the front tire for 15000 miles and the rear tire for a 1000 miles. I am very happy with my deal. I had to change the rear wheel bearings but that was no big deal. I found wheel bearings on eBay for $5.00 each and a wheel bearing remover tool for $20. The bearings are an excellent bearing. They have over 20000 miles on them and I ride in all weather. I have to comment that some new Harleys have trouble with bearings in the rain.
kemo

Back