Ultra Classic: Tubed Tires vs. Tubeless

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Cyclops, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

Just curious of other's thoughts. I purchased my 09 Ultra Classic with the Chromed Aluminum Profile Laced wheels which are tubed. However, after riding with a buddy who encountered a flat tire and was able to plug it, air it back up and still finish our ride (where the dealership was able to replace his tire), I am now interested in replacing my wheels to the 28 Spoke Aluminum wheels, which are tubeless. After all, if it were I who had the flat I would have had to sit there and wait for transportaion.

Any pros/cons from fellow riders of tubed vs. tubeless tires?

If I purchase used 28 Spoke Aluminum wheels, which are tubed, can I use the rotors/pulleys/bearings/etc from my current wheels? Bike has ABS.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

2. flhrrider

flhrrider Member

ABS bearings have a magnet in them. You'll need them. There's usually a set or two of wheels on ebay. It's probably dicey which bearings are in them. VegasRob

3. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Last year I changed the wheels on my bike to the cast wheels because of the ability to repair a punctured tire. Plus after a while the old spoke wheels would get a rust build up eventually requiring replacement. Plus when you change your tires it will cost you $20 for a tube and $3 for a rim strip every time.
    kemo

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  5. Blue Wide Glide

Blue Wide Glide Active Member

I love the look of spokes, but hate running tubes in my tires. As was said before, getting a flat on a tire with a tube in it is always a bigger hassle.

6. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

I have read that tubeless tires run cooler - don't know why - and in theory the tire would last longer. It may not be true but that is what I read somewhere.

7. fin_676

fin_676 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Because the tyre and tube rub together as the tyre hits bumps and lumps and deforms to conform to the road surface and that rub will create heat
    rubber gets softer the hotter it gets which is good for grip but bad for tyre wear

Brian

8. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

Thanks to all for your comments and feedback. I can't switch over to tubeless fast enough.

9. 2ez!

2ez! Member

I am also in the market for cast rims to replace my laced spokes, for the reasons listed and others. I like the looks of the 9 spoke cast. Prefer chromed but I could also get away with gloss black powder coated with my blackwall tires (spent more time trying to keep white walls white than riding).

10. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I got my cast rims on eBay for $150 plus $35 shipping. I ran the front tire for 15000 miles and the rear tire for a 1000 miles. I am very happy with my deal. I had to change the rear wheel bearings but that was no big deal. I found wheel bearings on eBay for $5.00 each and a wheel bearing remover tool for $20. The bearings are an excellent bearing. They have over 20000 miles on them and I ride in all weather. I have to comment that some new Harleys have trouble with bearings in the rain.
    kemo