free website stats program Ultra Classic - Passenger Leg Comfort | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Classic - Passenger Leg Comfort

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Meant to ask this a while ago but it kept slipping my mind.

I've toyed with the idea of adding the chrome saddlebag guards that go in front of the bags on a Street Glide. While at the huge dealership at Biketoberfest, we were walking around inside drooling over new bikes (well, I was at least) and I asked my wife to hop on the back of a 2010 Ultra Classic sitting on the floor upstairs just to try it on for size. Of course, all of you recognize this as the "plant the seed" strategy but my wife fell for it. However, she immediately hopped off and shocked me by declaring, "don't like it - my legs rest right on top of the saddlebag guards and hurt them."

Since the Ultra is supposed to be the top of the line bike for passengers, I cannot believe that this is a common problem. My wife has very short legs so maybe they just had the passenger floorboards at the lowest setting, causing her thighs to hit the guards.

Anyone else have a wife/GF with real short legs that encountered this problem? Do the floorboards adjust up high enough to eliminate this? I have her boards on the highest position on my Street Glide but I'd hate to spend the money on the saddlebag guards and find out we have the same problem on my bike. Hate to spend even more money on a new UC and find out the problem cannot be fixed!

Meant to ask this a while ago but it kept slipping my mind.

I've toyed with the idea of adding the chrome saddlebag guards that go in front of the bags on a Street Glide. While at the huge dealership at Biketoberfest, we were walking around inside drooling over new bikes (well, I was at least) and I asked my wife to hop on the back of a 2010 Ultra Classic sitting on the floor upstairs just to try it on for size. Of course, all of you recognize this as the "plant the seed" strategy but my wife fell for it. However, she immediately hopped off and shocked me by declaring, "don't like it - my legs rest right on top of the saddlebag guards and hurt them."

Since the Ultra is supposed to be the top of the line bike for passengers, I cannot believe that this is a common problem. My wife has very short legs so maybe they just had the passenger floorboards at the lowest setting, causing her thighs to hit the guards.

Anyone else have a wife/GF with real short legs that encountered this problem? Do the floorboards adjust up high enough to eliminate this? I have her boards on the highest position on my Street Glide but I'd hate to spend the money on the saddlebag guards and find out we have the same problem on my bike. Hate to spend even more money on a new UC and find out the problem cannot be fixed!
HD makes bars that did the trick for my 5 footer. They come out from the bottom mounting point at a normal angle but then make a sharp bend from that point back to the top mount, forming more of a triangle than a rectangle. I think the part # is 49087-01 (for my 05 Ultra) (Comfort Profile Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit)

HD makes bars that did the trick for my 5 footer. They come out from the bottom mounting point at a normal angle but then make a sharp bend from that point back to the top mount, forming more of a triangle than a rectangle. I think the part # is 49087-01 (for my 05 Ultra) (Comfort Profile Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit)
I think Harley makes a kit that'll do away with em too. Thing is they make a good place ta hang your water bottles, with the required saddle bag guard pouches Harley also sells. And ya don't scratch up yer bags if'n ya tilt it too far. Remember the rear floor boards can be rasied too, I believe they have 2 or 3 positions avalible. Ya might want to look at that bike again and find one with the rear floorboards on the highest setting.

Passenger floorboard brackets on 2009 and up can be moved up to the top position on the three adjustment holes provided. You and take it a step further by getting Kuryakyn three position passenger adjustable touring pegs which really makes a huge difference. Good luck

My wife is 5'3'' and I have the boards at the middle adjustment,just asked her if her legs have ever hit the bag guards.The answer was not once.Maybe they had the boards at the lowest setting

Thanks everyone. We weren't really doing any serious looking so I didn't even take the time to look at what position the boards were in. I'm willing to bet they were in the lowest position.

I wouldn't want to take them off of an Ultra due to their protective function. Heck, that's why I'm considering adding them to my Street Glide!

I had seen the ones that angle up to the top mount position and hadn't even considered they might have been designed to address this problem. Just thought they were a different type to create a different visual look. Only problem with them is I don't think you can use the water bottle holders like you can with the standard guards.

Double ditto on the kuryakyn pegs, it gives the passenger more positions to move the foot around especially on longer rides. Good luck Doc.

Well, I'm not currently in the market for a new ride so I'll have to see if the Kuryakyn boards fit a Street Glide if I decide to put on the forward saddlebag guards. No reason they shouldn't but always best to check before writing the check!

Someone will correct me if I am wrong,but I believe the Ultra has the same frame as your street glide

Back