free website stats program Ultra CB tuning with SWR meter | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra CB tuning with SWR meter

Scrounger

Has anyone bothered to have the CB on their Ultra tuned with a SWR meter or is it not necessary. Just installed a J&M handlebar mount CB on a buddies bike and until it was tuned the performance was a disaster.

He has a good ten mile range on it now. just amazing performance.

It is an important number to know. It only makes a difference in how well you Transmit. If it is way off, it really beats up the final outputs in the radio.

10 mile range? I did not get that kind of USABLE range back in the days when I was running illegal hardware. You can hear for ten miles. But I am sure you can't transmit 10 miles.

I think only being a 4 watt radio, useing the right antenna, and being grounded good will make more differance than anything.If your getting out 5-10 miles at night when it's quite ,I would say your doing real good. During the day when skip is coming in you might not be able to talk across the street.And thats due to conditions and not your radio.If its working good to fair ,I wouldn't worry about it. The only way to change your SWR's is to add or remove cable , or trim the ant.Having a good ground is going to be the most important thing. If your still not happy with it, a "good" and I repeat a "good" c.b. shop can tune it up a "little" or clip the modulation for better performance. But I think the gain you would get,wouldn't be worth the trouble or expense... IMO.....

Back