free website stats program Ultra Air Shocks | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Air Shocks

I also have a 2009 Ultra, and found from day one that the shocks bottom out with the slightest provocation. I run 30 lbs (the manual says you can go to 50 now), but RR tracks, driveways, speed bumps, etc, etc. make the bike bottom out badly. I weigh 240 and gilrfriend weighs, well, I am not going there. Suffice it to say she is a large girl. Riding solo causes the problem to easily appear, and two-up requires 50 lbs to keep us from both losing our teeth. I have a friend who told me the Progressive shocks are supposed to help, but I cannot get Progressive to give me a weight limit for their shocks. I find it hard to believe that HD would let the bike go out with that kind of bottoming that I experience. Anyone else have any experience with Progressives? I am ready to buy them if it fixes the problem.

I have a 09 Ultra and finally set it up at 35 lbs. Lets just say that combined we are at 400 lbs. I kept adding in 2 to 3 pound to keep from bottoming out but not to hard of a ride. It looks like 35 is my sleep…ride number.

I have a 09 Ultra and finally set it up at 35 lbs. Lets just say that combined we are at 400 lbs. I kept adding in 2 to 3 pound to keep from bottoming out but not to hard of a ride. It looks like 35 is my sleep…ride number.

I also found 35lb works two up. little less wt. but with roads as bad as they are now days, i like it a little more stiff, just in chase you fine one of those tire busters:31:

I have seen on another forum that folks are dumping the oil in the stock shocks and replacing with 7.5 wt belray shock oil and finding the difference to be night and day. In fact, one person said he liked it better than the progressives.

You might give that a try. I think I'm gonna try it as well along with a front fork oil replacement.

I have seen on another forum that folks are dumping the oil in the stock shocks and replacing with 7.5 wt belray shock oil and finding the difference to be night and day. In fact, one person said he liked it better than the progressives.

You might give that a try. I think I'm gonna try it as well along with a front fork oil replacement.

It can be done i changed mine to 10wt

09 ultra and we're about the same weights, I'm 230. I had it set to 35 Lbs but we seemed to hit hard too many times. Now at 50 Lbs and we have a smooth ride. Be careful it doesn't take much pressure. If you have a regulator on the compressor I'd set it at no more than 50 Lbs.

Back