free website stats program Tyres and exhaust pipes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tyres and exhaust pipes

Tom fuel injected bikes use a tuner like a fuel pack to increase the amount of fuel being injected to compensate for the increased airflow allowed by a performance air filter and exhaust system
A carbed bike requires larger jets in the carb to compensate for the higher flow of air
fitting a performance exhaust system may require some re jetting
I have always taken the imo and jmo abbreviations to be in my opinion and just my opinion

Brian

OK got it, thanks.
The new pipes idea was from the mechanic who is doing the insurance repairs, so hopefully he will set the carbs right. He says that the stock HD pipes will take longer to arrive than the V&H pipes, so I would be off the road even longer. It has already been 8 weeks. He will be giving me back my original pipes as well, so I can always change them back in the future once I have them repaired and new heat shields fitted.
But seeing as the option to have new ones is there, I thought I would give them a try.

Cheers Brian, good useful info. I'll see what he says tomorrow when I mention that to him about re-jetting after fitting them. If it will be costly (above the cost of replacement), I will tell him to order the stock pipes.

I have removed some of the posts in this thread that have taken it totally off topic.

If you install exhaust with mufflers that have a 1.75" baffle or less you may not need to rejet carb. Just a thought.........

Thanks again dbmg. I will bear that in mind.
I have been told that I should be back up and running within 2 weeks when all the parts have arrived and fitted.
The injury has now nearly fully healed and I'm waiting eagerly to get back out there.

Back