free website stats program Tyres and exhaust pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Tyres and exhaust pipes

TomH65

I've finally received the news that my bike will, at long last, be repaired by the insurance company:):coffee.
I have been told that I can change the specification of some of the parts. The stock exhaust pipes can take a couple of weeks to arrive once ordered, but I have been given the option of adding Vance & Hines pipes as a replacement. What are your thoughts on these pipes? Their website says they can improve performance and fuel economy (they are also advertising 'Fuelpak' which is new to me).
Also, the rear tyre (tire) will be replaced. Any ideas on which one I should request for my bike?

Cheers,
Tom

A set of Short Shot staggered with slash tips or Big Radius 2-2 Chrome would look outstanding on it. They are both LOUD though and you may have a problem with MOT if it needs to be re-inspected. You may be limited to stock if that's the case or try to find some used take-off mufflers, have them pay for the Vance & Hines if you really want them, and change out to the stock muffler to pass inspection. Used stock mufflers can be had on Ebay for very little money.

Good reviews on the Michelin Commander II lately. I just put on their Commander I that I had leftover and it is the 2nd one I've bought and used on my bikes. Great mileage and handling. You will get a ton of different opinions about tires.............and motor oil............and etc, etc.

Thanks BigAl, I am looking at the Hopefully quieter Double Barrel Staggered pipes (I like the chrome appearance and longer pipes). I will be given my stock pipes back as well, so I can change them for MOT etc.

I have got to the stage in life of sticking to near stock on the exhaust as it will keep the constabulary and the MOT inspector happy
I prefer avon tyres on my bikes they grip better on cold wet roads than dunlop tyres and it is easy to find cold wet roads around here

Brian

Thanks Brian,
I have been reading up on the Avon Roadrunner. That looks like a good option. Do you think I should have the same on the front as well? The front HD tyre is ok, it's the rear one that has split.

I would always fit tyres as a pair as tyres with different grip characteristics front and rear could get you in a lot of trouble
I have the venom x on both softail and sportster i fitted a set to the softail and i liked the way they handled so fitted a set to the sportster still have dunlops on dyna but it will also get avon when they need replacing

Brian

So, back to my original enquiry. Tyres, Tires, doesn't really matter. Does anyone have any advice for good ones on wet roads (for obvious reasons over here), I've looked at the Avon brand that Brian suggested and they seem reasonably priced and have good reviews.
I have read somewhere that the standard HD ones seem to crack after a while.

Fuelpak
I saw this on the V&H site. Looks quite effective for fuel economy, but it states that it is for injection systems so I don't think it will fit on mine, but has anyone used one, for future reference?

And finally, the V&H double barrel staggered pipes, anyone got them on? Is the noise level reasonable?

Cheers, Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, if your bike is carbed a fuel pal will do you NO good, you will have to re jet, The Avon tyres IMO would be a good choice for wet weather:s

Thanks for that Jack. Yes, it is a carb model, so rejetting would be a waste of money.
I keep seeing abbreviations IMO and JMO etc. in messages. What do these mean? Please enlighten me.
Cheers, Tom

Thanks for that Jack. Yes, it is a carb model, so rejetting would be a waste of money.
I keep seeing abbreviations IMO and JMO etc. in messages. What do these mean? Please enlighten me.
Cheers, Tom

In my opinion, and just my opinion If you change pipes you may suffer a wee bit of sputtering, if you do have a look in the self help section under carbs:s

Back