Type 'B' vs. 'E' Fork Oil

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by cmvsm, Nov 23, 2010.

1. cmvsm

cmvsm Member

My service manual calls for 'E' weight, but my dealer sold me 'B'. Should have checked before walking out. Anyhow, I've already filled one fork with 'B'. Am I going to need to drain and go back tomorrow and get 'E', or is it just going to give me of a more stiff ride? My forks did dive a bit before with the touch of the brake. Will this heavier weight help?

Thanks!

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

yes switch it out one is for one type of fork other is for the showa forks

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

4. cmvsm

cmvsm Member

Thanks Bud and Jack. I wouldn't mind a little stiffer ride, but not too much. I'm about 195lbs and enjoy just in-town cruising mostly, so nothing too high performance. As I mentioned, the forks with stock oil were a little mushy when I grabbed the brake, even in just the driveway. Would the 'B' help this out at all, or am I pointed in the wrong direction? My dealer recommended the Screaming Eagle Fork Oil when I was in there the other day. From the link you provided Jack, that would provide even a more stiff ride to the 'B' oil. Is this correct?

5. 2006FXDCI

2006FXDCI Active Member

I have a 2006 Dyna and put in the SE heavy oil, I would never go back to the regular fork oil. My front end dived as yours is and the SE heavy oil solved the problem.

6. cmvsm

cmvsm Member

Might keep the heavier weight in, just to see what it feels like. Unless anyone sees that is going to present a problem. Definitely easier to change with the forks off the bike.

The heavier weight gives better dampening and handling? Just a rougher ride? How much diff could going from 5w to 10w be?

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

Correct, less dive when braking