free website stats program Tying an Ultra Classic Down | Harley Davidson Forums

Tying an Ultra Classic Down

Thumperhead

My wife and I are heading out on vacation in a month for 2 weeks and will be crossing over to Newfoundland. We will have to tie the bike down on the ferry and I am looking for suggestions for where to connect to the bike, the straps to use, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

how rough is this ferry ride? we rode the ferry across Mobile Bay and we just put the side stand down. Maybe its a lot rougher up there.

It can get very rough, it will be a 6 hour ferry going over ( Port Aux Basque) and around 16 hours coming back (Argentia) crossing. Apparently they provide straps but I have seen ones just for connecting to the bike.

I'm not a big fan of strapping the bike down using the handlebars. I use the soft ties on the bottom triple tree. I'm wondering like dbmg if there is some type of wheel chock.

I believe they have wheel chocks. I am going to try and call and see exactly what they provide and I can decide from there what I will bring myself.

Having used the ferry here many times to visit mainland Europe i have used a few different ferries but they all have the same setup in the area for motorcycles and this consists of 2 steel cables that run the length of the area and are secured to the deck at various points
Park bike between the 2 steel cables leave bike in 1st gear and put on side stand use 2 of the supplied long tie down straps one over the seat use your gloves between the strap and the seat to prevent damage to the seat the 2nd strap place over the steering head might be worth having an old towel or spare gloves as a cushion tie bike down straps are to hold bike on side stand and being in gear it should not roll away just watch the other bike people on the ferry some of them will have done it many times before the crew should also be able to help or advise and will check that your bike is secure

Brian

Back