two oil coolers?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by flhrrider, Sep 29, 2011.

1. flhrrider

flhrrider Member

I'm thinking of running a second oil cooler, (perhaps a Jagg 6 row vertical on the engine guard) in series with the stock cooler on my 103 inch road king.
    Would it really knock a couple degrees off the cylinder head temperature? Would it create a problem with the oil pressure or pump? flhrrider

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I'm no oil expert but I have reservations about the oil dropping your head temperature very much at all.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

You may loose a few degrees but I think it's overkill myself.

4. Subby

Subby Active Member

I think Glider is spot on. Two oil coolers?? The one that came stock with the bike is probably all you need...other than a better A/C and a fueler of course.

5. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

I have the Marlins oil temp/head temp gauge on my '07 Ultra. I replaced the air temp gauge.

Rode through the desert in July with 115 degree temperatures.

Oil temp did go up in the desert, more than when riding in Iowa but nothing weird. Nothing that I'd worry about.
    All the bikes in the desert were running the same temps, only difference was I knew what my bike was running at.

I'd worry more about having more oil hoses in the open with a chance of developing a hole in the hose.

6. flhrrider

flhrrider Member

Thanks, Maybe I'll just upgrade to the Jagg10 row with the fan. It does get blistering here in Las Vegas traffic. flhrrider

7. kemo

kemo R.I.P

You are a sensible guy. Use the. Use the 10 row Jagg and the fan.
    Ken

8. flhrrider

flhrrider Member

Thanks, No one's accused me of that in a while! lol

9. brownfoxx1

brownfoxx1 Active Member

try the jag universal oil cooler.looks like overkill on my '09 t/g. but i'm satisfied with it. mine runs 230. and am going to put aperf. revolution efi on this winter.

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

Just curious about the temps. What were the air temps on that day you saw 230*