free website stats program Two Battery Tender Jr's bit the dirt | Harley Davidson Forums

Two Battery Tender Jr's bit the dirt

kc5gxc

Can't figure out why, but I got two bikes and had new tenders on them and 2 nites ago something happened to the tenders to kill them. I checked on the bikes in the AM and both tenders dead. Got power on the circuit they are plugged into and a power drill charger on same circuit still working good.
Put a meter on the plugs of the tenders and get an open reading....looks like something caused the transformer to (EDIT)
out on both........anybody got any ideas on what ? Maybe Hoople can figure it out ?
Thanks, Pete/MS

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Lightning? Or if your power company is anything like Florida, Flash and Flicker, they could have caused it. Seems though you would have had more loss than just the tenders. Maybe the circuit is overloaded causing them to pull a higher than normal amperage. If you have a long run of smallish wire and too much plugged in. It would cause a low voltage thus the amperage increase.

Calling Hoople :small3d028:

Bodeen

Last edited:
...anybody got any ideas on what ?

Wow. What happened is a Good question. Since both of them went out at the same time, it sure does seem like a power line spike got you. I haven't taken a Tender apart yet (my 4 units are the sealed waterproof ones that you can't take apart) so I don't know if they already have some kind of spike snubber installed right from the factory. It makes sense that they would but who knows if they really do.

One thing I have noticed and have changed on all my chargers. All the pigtail leads that came with my 4 chargers had 7.5 amp fuses in them. I thought that was a little over the top to give you any protection on the charging output side of the Tender. Two of my chargers are the 800 MA versions. What good is a 7.5 amp fuse going to do for you when the Max output of the charger is 800/1000 of an amp. Maybe Deltron has a good reason for a 7.5 amp fuse (?).. But I changed all my fuses out anyway to something more realistic. In the case of the 800 ma charger, I went with a 2 amp.
(which is still too much, but it's all I had!) :)

If you want to replace them... Jafrum has them through Wednesday 8-17-11 for $18. each limit 2 Check their website.

Thanks for the help. My tenders have 3 screws and easily come apart. Model 021-0123 and new. They are 750 mA. Transformer comes out easily. The primary is open. I want to just replace the transformers, but Deltran won't sell parts. Wonder if I can find doorbell transformers or something like that 110 to 12 V and it would work? I got the number off the transformer and could order one .... anybody know who sells just transformers ?
Thanks, Pete
ps: Deltran will fix it under 5 year warranty for $7.50 shipping, they say...if it's not been tampered with. Only one not tampered with...ha ha. I think a transformer should be very cheap, if I can find 'em.

may want to get a power bar with a serge protector in it and then plug them into that

Yup, that's what I did. Both bikes have a battery tender and both tenders have their own surge protector.
We have weird electricity here. Lost a garage door opener to a surge.
The new one now has it's own surge protector.

Deltran will fix it under 5 year warranty for $7.50 shipping, they say...

The factory repair for $7.50 is not bad. Most likely they will just send you a complete new unit. It is very common for transformers to have thermal fuses inside them. If something goes wrong downstream with the circuit board it will overheat the xformer and the thermal will open. That is what you may run into if you just replace the xformer.

Transformers are pretty rugged as compared to solid state electronics. Not saying it is impossible, but I would be very surprised if you lost only the 2 xformers and the rest of the unit is fine.

Just for fun, disconnect the secondary of the transformer. Measure the resistance of the load at those two points. Seeing a low value would be a dead giveaway something is wrong with the board also. That in turn would take out another good transformer.

If you want to replace them... Jafrum has them through Wednesday 8-17-11 for $18. each limit 2 Check their website.

Thanks for the info Harry, I'm in need of an extra one and just ordered it. Although with $9 shipping is a bit steep so it does increase the price substantially.

Bodeen

Hoople.......I did as you said....the load across circuit board shows open....I also jumped the output terminals and checked it again (on circuit board input wires)....same thing...open. Dunno know what that means.
Pete
ps.....if I get them going again or use a new one...do you think the little plug in type of surge protector will work for it? I have seen the kind you plug into an outlet and just plug your device directly into....they have a little pilot lite on 'em?????? Looks like a little plug adapter.
Pete

Back