free website stats program Twisting 96 cu/in crank question.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Twisting 96 cu/in crank question..

Hoople

Account Removed
I have read & viewed several podcasts (Revolution Performance) regarding the HD 96 cu/in Crankshafts twisting. Very interesting and a heap of Great knowledge. What I can't understand is why does it only apply to the 96cu inch engines. Are not all the HD cranks 2 piece and press together?
You would think Any 2 piece press assembled crank could experience this same problem, but it does not seem to be the case. Also if HD knows how to keep a 103 crank from twisting, why can't the knowledge be applied to the 96??

Tks!!

As Smitty said, the problem was with the 96 engines because they were a new design starting in 07 and 06 in the dynas and Harley was looking to cut costs by pressing the cranks together rather than keying or pinning them as they did with the past year cranks. Tolerences have been tightened up since this problem manifested itself in 07 and the later years are still pressed but with difference tolerances to make they a bit better. How much better only time will tell but any serious mods done to an engine should have the cranks trued and welded if a different crank isn't used when they are built.

If Hobbit's crank can withstand what he puts it through, I guess I'll stop worrying about mine!

I would figure that on a completely stock engine, twisting a crank is not an epidemic issue. I try never to look at a warranty to REALLY cover you. Let's face it. Twist a crank and the oil pump will go south. You may get the crank & the pump replaced but you & I know the dealer is not going to check every pressure oiled part for damage in your engine. Especially these days where the factory must be watching warranty costs. You will never be made "Whole" from a warranty problem or repair as serious at a twisted crank...

The post was really not understanding that the other cranks were pinned/keyed.

Tks!!

Back