free website stats program twist grip sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

twist grip sensor

nascar7613

2009 Street Glide was running in limp mode, had just enough throttle to go about 20mph. Had codes 1510,1511,2127,2135,2138,2176. Replaced the twist grip sensor and was able to clear all codes except 1510, 2127 and 2138. I know what these codes are, I don't know why they won't clear. Any advise would be appreciated.

I don't know what the codes are but if they are historic they will cancel after a set # of on off cycles (50 I think). Or you can have the dealer cancel them.

Most likely the system will not release those codes until 1 complete successful (repaired) ignition cycle is completed. I know that is the case with the 1510 code.
It would also make sense for the other two codes because of the severity/nature of the codes.

I've started the bike several times. Then I try to clear the codes again with no success. When I clear the code thru the speedo, it says clear, but it immediately returns. I assume that means it is a current code.

Also, I tried to clear the codes with the scan tool with no success. I noticed with the scan tool that when I move the throttle from 0 to 100%, it reads the twist grip sensor % as it working properly, but the throttle position sensor % never goes above 40%. I wonder if that is the reason for the 2138 TGS correlation error.

it says clear, but it immediately returns. I assume that means it is a current code.

If it is a current code, the check engine light will be on. Try riding the bike as an ignition cycle (must see VSS signal) rather than just turning on & off or starting the bike without moving.

The 40% limit is a feature of the firmware that TBW has. The SERT lets you adjust that percent. It prevents lugging of motor. The plates would open more if the engine was running. (it is a ratio. max percent of throttle position per RPM)

That 2138 bothers me. That's a throttle body code. I would try riding the bike to see if it goes back into limp mode. Here are a couple of flowcharts that may help. Note 4 cycles for P2176.

Attachments

• 2135 error code.pdf
    66.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 2135 Page2.pdf
    54.1 KB · Views: 23
  • P2176 Page 3.pdf
    50.3 KB · Views: 28
Fixed the problem. There is a green connector that connects the TGS to the harness connector that is located inside the handlebar. One of the pins had pushed out on the harness side of the connector. So I pushed the pin back in and zip tied the wires together so it wouldn't back out again, cleared the codes on the first try, and the bike is fixed. I believe that this could be a common problem at this connection because the plugs are not very sturdy. So before you go buy a new TGS, pull the old one out and check those pins.
Thanks for the replies.

Glad you found your problem and thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for letting everyone know what the final resolution was. Should help others out down the road!

Back