free website stats program twin cam wet sumping | Harley Davidson Forums

twin cam wet sumping

blackhawk dude

Need some help. 2002 road king, 13,000 miles, wet sumping. Replaced stock oil pump, removed oil pan, can find no visible causes, no plugged oil orifices. Chain tensioners in good shape. Talked to 2 different dealer mechanics, both said must be a plugged hole. Anyone have any ideas?? Headed back to Iraq soon, would sure like to do some riding first...........

Need some help. 2002 road king, 13,000 miles, wet sumping. Replaced stock oil pump, removed oil pan, can find no visible causes, no plugged oil orifices. Chain tensioners in good shape. Talked to 2 different dealer mechanics, both said must be a plugged hole. Anyone have any ideas?? Headed back to Iraq soon, would sure like to do some riding first...........

I would suspect that your plunger on the oil pressure relief is jammed. Do you have an oil pressure gauge on the bike? If so, what does it read? If not, can you borrow one and see what you are getting for oil pressure.

You have already been into the nose cone cover to check the cam chain tensioners and change the oil pump. Get back in there and take out the outer tensioner and remove the spring and plunger. Clean it all up really well including the port the plunger slides in. If you have time, you might install the Baisley spring (the #2 should be fine). If you don't have time, get a new stock spring and plunger from HD, and see if that will get your oil pressure up.

Good luck.

TQ

Don't have any help for your problem. But I want to welcome you to the forum and to say I hope you stay safe while you are in Iraq . Thanks for your service.

Also check the "O" rings on the cam plate. They have been known to get pinched when installing and cause sumping.

My local shop guy put the good spring in the relief valve last time I had it apart. All orings are good. I took the pump apart again last night, it appears fine, no scoring, wavy washer is good. Pump to cam plate oring good, cam plate not scored. Still searching.... Good tips, thanks TQ

Nothin but a thang.......thanks David

My local shop guy put the good spring in the relief valve last time I had it apart. All orings are good. I took the pump apart again last night, it appears fine, no scoring, wavy washer is good. Pump to cam plate oring good, cam plate not scored. Still searching.... Good tips, thanks TQ

Nothin but a thang.......thanks David

If you still have the nose cone cover off, make sure that your local shop guy has the new spring completely above the roll pin.

TQ

Hey Blackhawk Dude. Follow Glider's advice, and Be Safe and come home soon. God Bless You and be with you always.

Good luck with your project there Blackhawk Dude, and more importantly, thank you for your service & stay safe over there.

I pulled the relief spring and pin myself just to check it. The plunger is free, spring was, and is fully seated under the pin. Double checked all the orings. Cam plate is flat. The only other thing I didn't change last time was the filter.Not sure if the relief function in it could cause all this, but am putting it all back together tonight. Thanks to all for the replies.........

Back