free website stats program Twin Cam Question ... | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin Cam Question ...

Emu1400

The following is from another motorcycle website. I know the Twin Cam had a few problems when it came out, but my understanding was the issues were dealt with. So I was wondering if any of the other stuff this guy mentions is of any concern ... Please fell free to pick the below statement apart because I'd really like to know if any of it is any kind of potential problem.

"Harley has issues with their engines. Ever since the Twin Cam came out there have been issues with the cam drive, then issues with heat/running hot, and they went to a pressed crank w/roller bearings. The motor is weaker than the EVO was structurally and you must tread lightly on how much you ask of it, because the crank will either twist or run-out side to side (which wastes the oil pump)."

Looking for the facts ... Now that I have an Ultra, when I see this kind of thing, I like to know if there is any truth to claims like the above quote.

T, because the crank will either twist or run-out side to side (which wastes the oil pump)."

e.

From everything I have read and researched, if you leave the engine stock (or at a Stage 1) you wont have any problems.

When going with large bore kits, a Tig & True will make the crank hold up.

Others may add to this.

ONE thing i did is go for a FULL stage one and install a TFI fuel control like MANY here on the site have done....

MY 2009 FLHR runs so much better and a lot (MY WORDS) cooler.....

I am really impressed with the performance I got after putting it together....

IT GAVE ME THE KIND OF IMPROVEMENT I wanted.....

" THE KIND YOU FEEL IN THE SEAT OF YOUR PANTS"

signed....BUBBIE

That would be a slow week for Dave his last ride he put 1 million on and did a 1000 miles a day for 31 days. If you would like to see his last bike HD has it. He was slowed down a bit this year when he killed his 5th deer with a Harley.

Is he a factory sponsored lunatic or something?!? I wouldn't do that in an air conditioned car with comfy seats. My FAA doctor rode from Atlanta to Sturgis in 2 days (800 miles the first day, 700 the second) and I thought he was crazy. This guy takes the prize, though!

Unfortunately with some of the stuff you read, people are coming from where they're coming. My '99 Ultra has 75,000 on it and runs like new. Yes, there were some problems with the cam tensioners, which , as the forum pointed out, were fixed in later bikes. I did a roller chain conversion on mine, added a TFI unit , some cams and an oil cooler and have had no problems. If you treat a motor right, in the overwhelming majority of cases it will do it's job and last. Abuse it, and more likely than not, it will fail. Ever wonder why the big block Fords and Chevy's of the '60's are so rare? Because when bought new, most of them were run hard, and didn't survive. As long as you understand the pros and cons of a motor, you'll have no problems.

Smitty - I agree with 99% of what you're saying, especially as it relates to the original post. If you do all scheduled maintenance and do not heavily modify these TC motors, I see no evidence that they will give us serious problems down the road. Maintain them, treat them right, and they will return the favor!

I think you're a little off base about the compensator issue. Nowhere on this forum have I ever read that you NEED a new compensator. Everyone is doing this mod to simply improve the riding characteristics of their bike and to eliminate the annoying startup bang. If someone implied that it would affect my motor in the long run if I did not do this mod, I must have missed it.

U. My '99 Ultra has 75,000 on it and runs like new. no problems.

Don't forget the important & juicy details. Have you owned the bike from when it was New & what brand of oils do you run or have run. Back in '99 did you use Dino oils?

I believe just mileage numbers mean little without the facts on maintenance and oils. I am still not a Syn believer. I want to hear from the guy who is a real gear head who has 90K on his bike, still runs like New, and has used Dino oils from day 1...because I am trying to do it.

Back