free website stats program Twin Cam in an FXR | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin Cam in an FXR

Grumpy01

Think I read somewhere about putting a TC in a FXR frame. I was told by the principal at my dealership that if you take a TC out of a dresser below the year 2009 that the entire drive train, engine+trans will drop right into an FXR frame. I looked at the models on the floor and the front half of the frame from the swing arm to the front down tubes appear to be the same as an FXR. This would include the 6 speed trans also. However, the rear belt pulleys would need to checked as to alignment. Of course the cables, oil lines, and such would need to replaced. Manifolds, carbs, and fuel lines also.

He was quite adament to the fact that the physical unit would fit the frame with no problems.
Thought I would pass this on as this has crossed my mind quite often.

I have fitted a 2005 Twin Cam "A" engine in my 1992 FXLR, using the original 5 speed transmission with an adaptor plate between the engine and transmission.
No problems, no frame mods. Runs well, more torque than an evo. Good luck.15052010028.jpg

Think I read somewhere about putting a TC in a FXR frame. I was told by the principal at my dealership that if you take a TC out of a dresser below the year 2009 that the entire drive train, engine+trans will drop right into an FXR frame. I looked at the models on the floor and the front half of the frame from the swing arm to the front down tubes appear to be the same as an FXR. This would include the 6 speed trans also. However, the rear belt pulleys would need to checked as to alignment. Of course the cables, oil lines, and such would need to replaced. Manifolds, carbs, and fuel lines also.

He was quite adament to the fact that the physical unit would fit the frame with no problems.
Thought I would pass this on as this has crossed my mind quite often.

Yes i know many bros of mine have done this on the west coast. Use twincam A motor and a touring tranny without the oil pan. Never seen it done with a 96ci and a 6 speed. In my opinion i would rather have a older TC 88 and a touring 5 speed. 5 speeds are more stout than the cruisedrive 6 speeds.

You're dead right Brutal, the 96 may have taller cyls too. My 88 has a high volume oil pump (essensial) Andrews TW37 cams and 1,5mm off the heads, running a cv40 carb. Dyno run makes 80hp rear wheel and 127nm torque. Works pretty good in a light bike, and a cheap reliable upgrade. Recommend.

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking about this mod but it wasn't a real serious endeavor. Glad it worked out ok for you. The comment about the 5 vrs the 6 speed was interesting. Was the 'stout' comment referring to strength or ability to pull the gears?

Back