free website stats program twin cam efi occasional backfire | Harley Davidson Forums

twin cam efi occasional backfire

Hi all,

My 2002 heritage with twnicam and efi occasionally backfires when I am riding along at a constsant speed. It will occasionally do it under decelleration but mostly whilst riding at a constant speed.

Has anyone had similar problems or have any advice on solving it without having to take it to my dealer.

Do you Feel a misfire in the bike when it happens? If it was not for the sound, would it go unnoticed?

Hobbitt, the only mod is a stage one which was done over 3 years ago with no previous problems.

Hoople, Yes you can def feel when it backfires.

Thanks for your replies.

I agree with Hobbit. Sounds like an electrical engine miss, then the unburned fuel kicks off on the way out the pipe.

Hi All, Its been a while but I still have the misfire. I have now replaced plugs, leads and coil. checked the intake manifold for leaks, checked wiring harness for broken wires between ecu and coil and injectors. Battery is good, all grounds are good. I have added harleys fuel conditioner to fuel to cleanse fuel system. None of this has worked. Has anybody got any other ideas please.

It is a actually a Backfire?. So we are talking about the same thing lets define a Backfire. You are cruising along at steady state throttle and "Bang" a gun shot sound comes out the pipes.
Not a backfire up through the throttle body,, but a Backfire out the pipes. Correct? This bike is injected, correct?

Check the connections to the kill switch and the ignition switch. When I had that trouble it was the ignition switch was bad, but I've seen the kill switch do the samething when the contacts being dirty as well.

hi all, thanks for the replies. there is a definate pop from the exhaust and you can feel the engine hesitate for a split second. the bike is fuel injection. Went out for a ride with my club last night and now it seems to do it at certain engine revs and will now do 5 or 6 pops in a row. Haven't had a look at ignition or kill switch wiring yet but will do.

Back