free website stats program Turn Sigs not working | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Sigs not working

gltee_9

I just installed LEDs on the rear and in doing so, kept the original turn sig's on the front. I then decided to clip the wires on the front ones and run with out front turn signals until I got a relocation kit and new (smaller) turn signals. I hooked up the new ones and they didn't blink. Put originals back on and still nothing. I have to manually "blink" them. My hazards do work though. Any ideas? I've checked the fuses and all seem to be fine. My bike is a 99 FXD.. Thanks

The original signals load the TSM/TSSM so it works properly. Changing the load going to LED's changes the load the unit is designed to work with. You need to add a load equalized to get things working properly again.

Even though the original turn sigs on the front worked with the LED's and now they don't, that's still the problem? I was told posibbly a relay? Thanks

The system is a bit sensitive when it comes to changes. It will self adjust to minor changes but not to major changes in load. If you can get them to blink at all, do it 5 times on each side and see if that restores the function with the factory lights on the front and the LED's on the rear.

Who ever told you a relay, ask them for more info on it.:s

did you reconnect the front signals ? if not that might be your problem . i put l.e.d's on my bike (and a load equlizer) i know the l.e.d.'s will work without the equlizer but the system doesn't know what to do without the current draw from the regular bulbs . the system thinks you have a bulb out and won't flash (like the old cars) . i would go with what glider said and try a load equlizer . now if they did work before (with the front one connected) and now (with the front ones re-connected) they don't , you might have a differant problem , but i still think it is a load equilizer "fix" . good luck !

I did reconnect the front ones with regular turn sigs, just smaller version of what the originals were. When I had the originals hooked up along with the rear LED's everything worked but seemed to only work at a stand still, never worked when I was riding. I'd mess with the wires a little while at a stop and try again and it'd work once then stop. When i took of the circuit box, kind of smelled like something was burned up, had that electrical burn smell to it. Not sure if that was me or something inside fried up. I did try to close the circuit with the front turn sigs off once by connecting wires and seeing if the back LEDS would still work, which they didn't that's why I rode with the original ones til I replaced them. The tech at harley said I'd need to buy the load equalizer if I was going to run LEDS in front as well.....did I get wrong info?? Thanks

When you run LED's yes you need the load equalizer as stated above.

Smaller lights up front may be smaller bulbs with less draw too.

i only have led's in the mirrors on the front . the back has after market lights with regular bulbs just smaller . i put a load equilizer in and haven't had any problems . i didn't try the signals with the mirrors installed and no equlizer , that was the first thing i put in . you do need a load equlizer for led's . the smell is another story ? maybe the relay is bad ? i'm not sure . somebody that has more knowledge about bikes might be better to answer . i just know how trucks work . i know the bikes are not that differant but i could be wrong .

When I first switched to all leds I tried them and they seemed to work, but only for about 5 seconds and then they would stop blinking. Added a load equalizer and everything was fine after that

Back