free website stats program Turn signals | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn signals

stroseph

My turnsignals work intermittent at best. Where is the turnsignal module on my 2000 Harley Classic? Is there anything else that can cause this? Thanks in advance I Can't get any info out of our local dealer.

Stroseph, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first diagnostic thread. When you say turnsignals work intermittant at best...does that mean left or right work the same...and do the lights stay on, stay off or don't flash at the correct rate? When did the intermittant failure begin...after a rain, recent service and what have you done so far?

Typically, the most common cause would be corrosion in one or more of the light socket/terminal connections, usually due to condensation or water intrusion (I looked at a Harley parked next to mine awhile back and could see water halfway up the left rear signal...! Next thing would be insulation cut or pinched, usually where the wire passes thru a housing or metal holddown clamp or where bending/flexing occurs.

Last edited:
Well when they work left and right work the same. I messed with it today and finally found the module. As luck would have it they were not working at the time.. When I activated the controls power went into the module but nothing came out. So I am pretty sure I need a new module. Hope I am on the right track.

Stroseph, when nothing came out, how did you confirm, and did you make sure that you cleaned all the sockets, connectors and made sure the ground return was intact? Did you have a reference schematic to confirm how the power fans out to the two sides...if the output(s) are grounded or the ground is floating, no lighting would occur...just a thought...as I said, I believe in testing and verifying two conditions of the part before considering substitution.

I used a test light to check for power coming out of the module. I checked the ground with my volt/ohm meter, it appears to be good. The sockets are all clean and I have put a little diaelectric grease in the sockets. The module it self on the back the rubber is cracking and it looks like moisture could get in. That is about it for now.

Back