Turn Signals Cancelling Too Soon

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by ChopperDoc, Jun 12, 2010.

1. ChopperDoc

ChopperDoc Active Member

2000 FLHTC, Carb - I am experiencing a problem with my turn signals - They are cancelling before I make my turn, not all the time, but enough that it is starting to get to me.

Sitting at a light, everything seems to work fine, but when underway, it seems that any movement (increase/decrease speed, change lanes, etc.) causes them to cancel.

Are there seperate sensors or is everything is the turn signal module? Does a carburated bike have a bank-angle sensor and if so, could that be the culprit?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Hold the turn signal button ON longer.

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As Glider (and your instruction manual :D ) says, hold down the desired turn signal button down...the timer starts when you release it and if bank sensor is activated, canceling time is shorter (about 4-5 seconds) or so after leaning.

4. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I have the same bike and the same issues. I try to remember to hold the signal light switch down but sometimes I forget.
    kemo

5. Scrappy

Scrappy Active Member

same issues for me, i never remember to hold it. so i have to hit it twice alot. i almost wish it was a manual cancel, but that would create more memory issues. i think they should be a tad longer, i like hitting the blinker early and hand signal when possible if anyone is close behind. your solution is... you have to find a solution, no easy fix on the bike.

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

on my sportster the distance the indicator was on in town was just about right but at 60 or 70 mph i will put the indicator on much sooner distance wise but the same about the same amount of time from the turn and had to at times put it on 3 times
    as i found it a very dangerous thing to be doing mid way through the whole procedure of doing a turn having to take my mind off the car behind me and the car coming the other way just to check the indicator is still indicating
    so i pulled the green wire from the tsm now its on till i decide when it goes off

Brian

7. weve

weve Member

This sounds like the problem I had with my 97 RoadKing It would work fine when sitting still but once under motion it would mess up .I called a local bike shop and he told me to take the speed sensor out of the trans and clean it off I tried it and it fixed the problem I hope this helps you

8. ChopperDoc

ChopperDoc Active Member

I think I found the problem. About a month ago I changed out all of the swich caps to chrome and also replaced the volume control (shop tip - Don't use a rubber mallet to help get the caps on, ha ha). I blew a fuse two weeks ago in that circuit but never put it together till yesterday when I blew another fuse. I have obviously pinched a wire in the left-hand housing and getting a high resistance short or swinging ground. I'm going back out to the shop later tonight and see what I did.

While I am at it I think I will use the "remove green wire from tcm" that fln 676 suggested. I would rather have to remember to cancel it then to have to keep looking down to see if it is still on - I have enough to watch for. Besides, I'm old and people expect me to drive around with my turn signal on.

9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Aye im getting old and forgetfull also

Brian