free website stats program Turn Signals Cancelling Too Soon | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signals Cancelling Too Soon

ChopperDoc

2000 FLHTC, Carb - I am experiencing a problem with my turn signals - They are cancelling before I make my turn, not all the time, but enough that it is starting to get to me.

Sitting at a light, everything seems to work fine, but when underway, it seems that any movement (increase/decrease speed, change lanes, etc.) causes them to cancel.

Are there seperate sensors or is everything is the turn signal module? Does a carburated bike have a bank-angle sensor and if so, could that be the culprit?

As Glider (and your instruction manual :D ) says, hold down the desired turn signal button down...the timer starts when you release it and if bank sensor is activated, canceling time is shorter (about 4-5 seconds) or so after leaning.

I have the same bike and the same issues. I try to remember to hold the signal light switch down but sometimes I forget.
kemo

same issues for me, i never remember to hold it. so i have to hit it twice alot. i almost wish it was a manual cancel, but that would create more memory issues. i think they should be a tad longer, i like hitting the blinker early and hand signal when possible if anyone is close behind. your solution is... you have to find a solution, no easy fix on the bike.

on my sportster the distance the indicator was on in town was just about right but at 60 or 70 mph i will put the indicator on much sooner distance wise but the same about the same amount of time from the turn and had to at times put it on 3 times
as i found it a very dangerous thing to be doing mid way through the whole procedure of doing a turn having to take my mind off the car behind me and the car coming the other way just to check the indicator is still indicating
so i pulled the green wire from the tsm now its on till i decide when it goes off

Brian

This sounds like the problem I had with my 97 RoadKing It would work fine when sitting still but once under motion it would mess up .I called a local bike shop and he told me to take the speed sensor out of the trans and clean it off I tried it and it fixed the problem I hope this helps you

I think I found the problem. About a month ago I changed out all of the swich caps to chrome and also replaced the volume control (shop tip - Don't use a rubber mallet to help get the caps on, ha ha). I blew a fuse two weeks ago in that circuit but never put it together till yesterday when I blew another fuse. I have obviously pinched a wire in the left-hand housing and getting a high resistance short or swinging ground. I'm going back out to the shop later tonight and see what I did.

While I am at it I think I will use the "remove green wire from tcm" that fln 676 suggested. I would rather have to remember to cancel it then to have to keep looking down to see if it is still on - I have enough to watch for. Besides, I'm old and people expect me to drive around with my turn signal on.

Back