free website stats program Turn Signal Help - 09 FLHX | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signal Help - 09 FLHX

New to this forum...typically on another, but a google search led me here...hoping someone can help out...I'll try to keep it short.

Pulled several pieces apart to have blacked out and new bars. Upon putting it all back together, I cannot get any of the blinkers to work. Early on, i had a short in the left front that blew a couple of fuses. When that happened, i turned on the blinker, it blinked twice and blew.

Since then, I can get everything on the bike to work with the exception of all four blinkers. Front running lights turn on. I have tested for voltage to the contacts in the blinkers with this result:

Tested continuity on both right and left controls (o/w & w/b wires). Have continuity on both when blinker button is held in.

Tested voltage on orange/white wire that goes to each of the front blinker, tested high 11's,

Tested voltage on the two contacts inside the housings of all four blinkers (one contact on rears). On front, one tested 11+ and the other showed in the 80's. On rear, both showed in the 50s. Now, that doesn't seem right to me, or I was doing something wrong. For each I had black lead on negative battery terminal, red on the contact.

Tested voltage to TSM again, that showed 11+.

I'm a novice at all of this and have been getting as much help as i can to get this sovled, but just can't get it....hoping somebody on here might have some ideas.

Thanks,
Steve

I assume you replaced the blown fuses and fixed the shorts that caused them and you currently are not blowing fuses.

Do you have a Run/Turn/Stop module ? If so remove it and plug the OEM plugs back in normal. See if the sigs work then. If so, replace the blown RTS module.

Also did you do a wiggle test ?

Pull out the harness from (out the bottom) the frame and with the ignition on, press the sig button and then slowly wiggle the harness. Do you see the sigs attempt to work intermittantly ?

You probably removed the pins from the connectors to get the wires out (or in ) the bars. Make sure all the pins are still firmly socketed in the connectors. If they wiggle you need to remove the pins and bend the tab on the socket inward just a bit to hold it tight.

(my email notification does not work, but others will be alone shortly)

I assume you replaced the blown fuses and fixed the shorts that caused them and you currently are not blowing fuses. Yes, i have replaced and am not currently blowing fuses. My problem was that I had the springs in the sockets wrong and causing it to short out.

Do you have a Run/Turn/Stop module ? If so remove it and plug the OEM plugs back in normal. See if the sigs work then. If so, replace the blown RTS module.is the RTS something that would have been added...no, i have not added that. I have pulled and checked voltage to the TSM..not sure if that is the same thing you are talking about.

Also did you do a wiggle test ?

Pull out the harness from (out the bottom) the frame and with the ignition on, press the sig button and then slowly wiggle the harness. Do you see the sigs attempt to work intermittantly ?Can you explain more on the harness? What/where is it. I have not done this

You probably removed the pins from the connectors to get the wires out (or in ) the bars. Make sure all the pins are still firmly socketed in the connectors. If they wiggle you need to remove the pins and bend the tab on the socket inward just a bit to hold it tight.Yes, i've checked this multiple times and everything seems good.

(my email notification does not work, but others will be alone shortly)

Thank you for the response...any information i can get or things to try is very helpful as I'm this is the first time i've really torn into things. I put some replies, questions above next to your feedback.

Thanks again for the help!
Steve

Steve, Does the bike have a TSM (no factory security) or a TSSM (factory Security). Using the attachment, perform a WOW test and see if there are any "B" DTC codes. If there are codes, note and record the DTC code number(s) and then manually clear the code(s). Now once again reboot the ECM and try the turn signal functions to force a new code. Now go back into the WOW test to see if any new or previous codes have returned.

Note that these pages are not from a domestic production bike but most info should apply. Do the wire colors in the schematic page seem to match what you have.
Let us know what you found.

Attachments

• WOW Test Page #1.pdf
    210.1 KB · Views: 22
  • WOW Test Page #2.pdf
    56.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2009 TSSM schematic.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 29
Yes, i actually did check for codes awhile back...but have not cleared them. That is a good idea to see if it will give me any new ones. The codes that I received were:
Under TSM/TSSM (S) B1121, B1122

And for good measure I checked the others. Only other was under Speedometer (SP). B1005.

Some new information that I found out last night by messing around testing wires and such. I found that the orange/white wire that is part of the connector on each blinker doesn't have the same voltage. On the left side, it tested at 12.05V. The right side continually settled at 30.5MV, but jumped around a little bit. I think tonight i need to figure out where that orange/white wire goes and check it everywhere. Any ideas?

As far as the diagram that you provided...i think that is a little bit different than mine (at least the one i've been referencing in my manual)...looking at teh right and left directional...i have 3 wires that come into each of them in the front.

Thanks for the input and let me know if those codes or what i found on the Orange/White wire mean anything.

Steve

Steve, Does the bike have a TSM (no factory security) or a TSSM (factory Security).

I have the schematics for your exact bike but not in PDF format. I can help you but I can't do much without the info I asked for above..

So at this point the bike no longer blows any fuses and a WOW test shows that the CURRENT TSM error codes from the B family are B1121 & B1122.
When the bike was blowing fuses, what was the name of the fuse that was blowing.

When you said in entry point #1, "Since then, I can get everything on the bike to work with the exception of all four blinkers" are your saying the left & right turn signals work but the 4 way emergency wont? I assume you mean both left front, right front & both rear blubs will not blink but I want to make sure I understand the problem.

In entry point #5 when you said "I found out last night by messing around and testing wires, that the orange/white wire that is part of the connector on each "Blinker" does not have the same voltage".. Do you mean on each hand control switch? There are many orange/white wires. Need to know where they are. Which 2 orange & whites are you comparing.

This all started when you changed the bars. Did you add wire extensions when installing the new bars.

So at this point the bike no longer blows any fuses and a WOW test shows that the CURRENT TSM error codes from the B family are B1121 & B1122.
When the bike was blowing fuses, what was the name of the fuse that was blowing.

When you said in entry point #1, "Since then, I can get everything on the bike to work with the exception of all four blinkers" are your saying the left & right turn signals work but the 4 way emergency wont? I assume you mean both left front, right front & both rear blubs will not blink but I want to make sure I understand the problem.

In entry point #5 when you said "I found out last night by messing around and testing wires, that the orange/white wire that is part of the connector on each "Blinker" does not have the same voltage".. Do you mean on each hand control switch? There are many orange/white wires. Need to know where they are. Which 2 orange & whites are you comparing.

This all started when you changed the bars. Did you add wire extensions when installing the new bars.

- the majority of the time I was blowing fuses, it was the LIGHTS fuse. This was because I had the spring in wrong and it was shorting out. The time that I blew fuses (multiple) was when LIGHTS, BATTERY and BRAKES all blew. Since those 3 blew, the blinkers have not worked. No fuses blowing anymore, all have been replaced/checked again, since changing spring situation.
-when i turn on ignition, the front lights (running) come on. When i hit the blinker button, either individually or together for hazzards, nothing happens. None of the four blink and the indicator on the inner fairing does not light up.
-the orange/white wire i am referencing is the one that connects to the left and right switches through the molex connector.
-no, i did not extend any wires

Thanks,
Steve

Back