free website stats program Turn Signal Bulbs | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signal Bulbs

tlyoungb

Is there a cross reference for turn signal bulbs from HD brand part number to a part number in a auto parts store? I need to get a front bulb for the turn signal, but not sure what to use from Advance Auto Parts. I know its a double element, but holy cow. You look at to wall and there are like hundreds of these bulbs, and they pretty much look all alike. Is there any single part number or bulb number to use or should I pay over 4.00 for a HD bulb. :bigsmiley5::help

I think you'll find cross references in the owners manual. Are these the big bulbs or the small push ins?

The big bulbs would be 1157 for the front and 1156 for the rear (single filament)

Hey Glider. Thanks. I did look in the owners manual, and there was no cross reference in the 2005 Eletra Glide manual. It only have the HD part number.

The reason I am asking is for some strange reason my left turn signal is acting up. I had put on the Harley Davidson Turn and Brake harness so I would have the rear running lights and brake lights. I also got the red lenses and put them on. Well just out of the blue, I noticed that the left turn signal was dim but lite. I said humm. Whats going on here. So when I cranked the bike it went away. So I didn't think anymore about it. Well the other day it did the samething. Left turn signal of the dash was dimly lite.

Well when I turn on the bike it was still lite. I press the left turn signal switch the lite would do a nomal flash, then a rapid flashing, and when I press the hand break or the foot brake, the left turn signal would start flashing also. I thought ok it must be the turn and brake harness I put on, and took it off.

Well when I took it off, it did the samething. So I cleaned all the base of the bulbs and still did the samething. Well now I am really starting to look into what is going on here. So when I turn on the left turn signal I noticed that the front one, when it flashed it would go completely out and back on. It was like the other filement in side was not staying light. So I replaced the bulb and it started working ok. I said that was it. The bulb was bad.

Ok this morning I fired it up for work, and bang there it is again doing the samething. So now I was thinking that maybe I put the wrong size bulb in there. I took it out this morning when I got to work and look at the number and it was a 1157 bulb. Could not see any filiment damage, so I put it back and now its working ok. Does any of this make sense? I am at a loss here on what just might be going on. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you know for sure the bulb is good, try switching it with the other side and see what happens. If not then check the grounds for the light and the socket contacts to make sure they are free/clean and can contact the bulb. The 1157 should work in the front lights.

Ok Glider. I will check that. Would it be ok to use WD-40 for cleaning the contacts? I have a can of that lying around here somewhere.

tlyoungb

Back