free website stats program Turn Signal Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signal Adjustment

krtracr

I have a 1999 Electra Glide Classic, I believe this is the last year HD used speedometer cables attached to the front wheel axel.

My question is can you adjust the distance for the turn signal shut off?

It seems like the travel distance before my turn signals shut off is very short. It seems like they only last for maybe 100 feet or so, after I hit the button, the signal flashes maybe 4 times, it appears they speed up a little and then shut off.

I like to let people know I am turning and would like to adjust it for a longer distance if possible.

Any help would be great. Thanks

From what I've seen, it's a non-adjustable programming feature in the tsm.......see below.

1. When the left turn signal switch is pressed, a momentary
12 VDC pulse is sent to Pin No. 8 (input)
on the TSM module. The module responds to this
signal by sending a series of 12 VDC pulses to Pin
No. 4 (output) to flash the left front and rear turn
signal lamps.

2. The TSM module then monitors the number of
vehicle speed sensor pulses sent from the speedometer
sending unit to Pin No. 3. These pulses indicate
the distance the motorcycle has traveled.
When the number of speedometer pulses is equal
to the quantity preset in the module program, the
turn signal is canceled.

Shot in the dark here but do the turn signals flash faster than normal? That would decrease the time based upon BigAl66's post? If so maybe there is a resistance issue. Like dirty bulb sockets etc...

If memory serves me , by holding the button a bit longer the distance traveled and time will be increased so the signal will stay on longer, by hitting the button again it should cancel the signal, seems to me this worked on my 92 and 97 glides

Shot in the dark here but do the turn signals flash faster than normal? That would decrease the time based upon BigAl66's post? If so maybe there is a resistance issue. Like dirty bulb sockets etc...

Bodeen...from my understanding it's based on pulses from the speedometer that the tsm then recieves and determines when to shut them off. That's why if you're sitting at a traffic light, they'll remain on indefinitely. Once the tsm starts receiving the pulses from the speedo sensor and it achieves the number of required/programmed pulses they'll shut off. The newer models rely on the bank angle sensor as well as the vss to determine the length they stay on. If memory serves me correctly, the earlier models don't have the bank sensor.

Bodeen...from my understanding it's based on pulses from the speedometer that the tsm then recieves and determines when to shut them off. That's why if you're sitting at a traffic light, they'll remain on indefinitely. Once the tsm starts receiving the pulses from the speedo sensor and it achieves the number of required/programmed pulses they'll shut off. The newer models rely on the bank angle sensor as well as the vss to determine the length they stay on. If memory serves me correctly, the earlier models don't have the bank sensor.

I was thinking that if the pulses that are counted is in fact the number of flashes, then if you had a bad (dirty) connection that makes the flasher flash faster because of increased resistance. You would have a turn signal that flashes faster than normal therefore increasing the number of pulses in a shorter period of time.
Having said all that, if the OP doesnt have a faster than normal flash on his turn signal bulbs than all of it is a mute point.

Hope all that made sense.......... HOOPLE!, Please report to post #497144. :D

I believe that the auto cancel won't start counting distance until the turn signal button is released, pressing and holding will activate the signal and it will continue to blink. After releasing the button, it will start to count the distance and then cancel. For me, that required waaay too much "babysitting" the automatic system so I disconnected distance input to the tssm and now have 100% manual signals, I start them, I stop them. I like it that way.

Distance Test
The turn signal module recognizes four different speed ranges and uses these distances to activate the cancellation action.
SPEED RANGES and DISTANCES:
0-34: 220 feet to cancel, 35-44: 339 feet, 45-60: 680 feet, 61+ : 1051 feet

OR constant speed cancellations:
25mph - 5-7 seconds to cancel
38mph - 5-7 seconds to cancel
52mph - 8-10 seconds
65mph - 10-12 seconds

Rider Preference Setting
If the rider desires the turn signals to flash for a longer or shorter distance than the preset time, perform the following:
1. Longer distance cycle: Hold the turn signal longer and release it closer to the turning point.
2. Shorter distance cycle: Press the button a second time to cancel the turn signals.

Back