free website stats program turbo harley | Harley Davidson Forums

turbo harley

rascal

please guys, need some input, anybody turbo? have sportster 1200S, 95 model, thought of ss motor,1650 cc but cost $8000, landed in auss, Turbo would be much cheaper and a little differant, i need pros/ cons if anybody online has done this which im sure have, thanks, Rascal,
ps.... its a lil wet here.... have to put some floaties on the sporty for work in the morn....

Hobbit it's good to hear from you again. How are things in your part of the world??

thanks fellas for input, i have been checking out those sites as directed and found very useful info. will let u know how it develops.:newsmile020:

Biggest issue I see with running a turbo is heat.

Air cooled engine is hot enough already then start adding a few pounds of boost which heats intake charge considerably and also raises cylinder pressure.

Then you have to find space for an intercooler as well.

I know it can be done but not sure if an air cooled motor is the best application.

That being said, I bet it would be a whole lotta fun if you could make it work. :D

yeah canuck, lotta fun.... thus far have turbo set up from friends 1300cc suzuki 4wd with spare rebuildable turbo, $250. sell/give set up to son for his suzuki with old turbo, just need to set up pipes to turbo and use after market screaming eagle carb as draw thru setup , will not need intercooler maybe as will not run big boost. 4 to 6 psi will be more than enough to create fun i hope..

Had intentions to put a turbo on my sporty back in the 70s. Got here to Arizona and the heat considerations changed my mind. Never thought about it again, until I recently saw the nicest Black and chrome V-Rod I've ever seen. This machine has a water cooled turbo, to go with its water-cooled engine. That is the only way it makes sense to me, is on a V-Rod. By the way, goosing that V-Rod is a genuine hair curling experience.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back