free website stats program Tuning issues? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tuning issues?

Re: Bike performance is sporadic

Leave the high speed at 190 and drop to a 46 on the low jet. In these bikes, the top end is usually jetted OK but the bottom end and needle settings are lean.There has been many that had similar problems with the DJ kits and switched back to the stock parts with modifications to the jetting and raised the needle with shims and worked better.

Vacuum leaks as in intake manifold seals to the heads and carb.

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks for the advice,Glider.I'm gonna try it out and may go back to a stock type needle.The bike had the adjustable one in it when I bought it.Any suggestions on what needle to use>
?

Offhand I don't know the number of the needle but the dealer or your service manual should be able to help. If you use a stock needle, put 2 #4 washers under the head of the needle. The taper on the stock needle is different from the kit needle you have in there and you may just have too much fuel flowing to run right.

Have you checked your MPG on this bike?

Benmedley

Your two posts have been merged. Please don't start another thread for the same issue.

Thanks

I agree, that sounds like a TON of gas.. I had similar issues with the DJ rejet kit... When i bought the bike it had a dynojet kit in it.... I changed jets 5 times... Never could get the throttle response i wanted, my MPG was around 32-35 and i moved that clip back and fourth on that needle so many times it would make your head spin....
I even got rid of the drag pipes that were on it when i bought it, went to a supertrapp 2 into 1.... Here is what i finally did that worked:

Changed the newer dynojet emultion tube back to an old stock one, the stock one had less holes in it but just works. Be aware here, the dynojet main jets are threaded different than the stock ones, DJ jets work with the DJ emultion tube.

Got a needle out of a 1200 sportster, shimmed it with 2 washers.

Went to the dealership, got a .190, .185, and .180 main jets. (the .190 is what i used finally)

Bought a new slide and diaphram.. and i DID NOT drill out the hole.

Now i run a .44 pilot and .190 main... i get 42-45mpg.. and the dyno run hit 64hp. My engine is a bone stock 80ci EVO with only pipes, air filter, and the carb work mentioned above. No cam at all... This set up might not be exactly what you need as you have a different engine and cam... But your problem sounded familiar and i thought i'd share my story and what finally chased my gremlins away.... Oh, and after your cam was changed, make sure you/they reset the timing and timed it correctly.

Steve

Have you tried the sporty needle without the washers?

The taper on that needle comes from a CV without an accelerator pump and by raising it up in your application, you are probably over fueling it.

Oh, and the fuel smell in the oil... When you tear into the carb again double check the inlet needle. If its leaking at all after the floats rise it could leak gas into the cylinders causing bad things to happen (like gas in your oil). A good thing to always do is shut your fuel off at the petcock when not riding.

Yea, i tried it without any washers first. It would "cough" a lot while cold and picking up off idle. When i shimmed it with the washers it seems to have cleared that up. And when i stepped back and watched them do the dyno run... I did notice the .190 seemed a bit rich at wide open, there was a hint of black smoke... Its about the best i have gotten it and i told myself if i get over 40mpg and good throttle response i'd leave it alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back