tuner questions

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by rootbeerfatboy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. rootbeerfatboy

rootbeerfatboy Member

I have an 08 fatboy with stage 1 intake and v&h longshots. I don't have a tuner and was wondering if anyone has used the RC components closed loop tuner? I hear many different opinions from techs, some say I need the tuner and others say I don't. If anyone has one 0f these tuners let me know.
  2. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

3. doctor727

doctor727 Active Member

I just installed a Gen-3 tuner from DoBeck on my '04 Heritage. It makes quite a difference. Better idle, better torque on accelleration, cooler engine temps and easy to install. In my opinion, you can't go wrong by installing one. My bike is stage one.
  4. coopernicus

coopernicus Junior Member Contributor

I put the Gen 3 on my 2013 heritage and am EXTREMELY pleased with it. It is very tuneable and Dobeck even called me after a while and checked to see if I was happy with it.
  5. jwquinn

jwquinn Member

Allow me to add my voice in support of the Doebeck. I put a Gen 3 on my 2012 Heritage, and it made a big difference. It's easy to install and configure, and the price is right. You can get a discount simply because you're a member of this forum. As a vet, I got an even better one. It'd be worth your while to give Doebeck a look.
  6. rootbeerfatboy

rootbeerfatboy Member

Thanks for letting me know. I forgot to mention that at WOT I get some pinging, especially if the weather is hot. Will this Dobeck tuner help with that. Are these closed loop, or do I have to get the bike dynoed?
  7. ImaRider

ImaRider Active Member

Glad you posted this, I am in the same process choosing pipes. What I would like to know is with any of these different tuners how do you know what afr you are getting when you make the adjustments?

I have read through many reviews and many of the product write ups. I never see a number to tell me what afr I will achieve. Right now I am running XIEDS but I do see some blue on my back pipe. That tells me that maybe these are doing all they should be to enrich the mixture. I am ready to buy but don't want to waste my money.