free website stats program Tune up question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tune up question

You did not mention cleaning or replacing the breather filter. Depending on where you ride, and how dusty it is, you may be defeating some of your "freer flowing" AC.

TQ

You did not mention cleaning or replacing the breather filter. Depending on where you ride, and how dusty it is, you may be defeating some of your "freer flowing" AC.

TQ
I did clean the breather filter. It was really dirty, also got the sea foam in, it seems to be running better but I'll give it a few days. How often should I use the sea foam, every tank or every other tank?

I did clean the breather filter. It was really dirty, also got the sea foam in, it seems to be running better but I'll give it a few days. How often should I use the sea foam, every tank or every other tank?

I use 2 oz. of MMO every fillup. I would think you could use the Sea Foam once a month as maintainance. As pointed out above though, if your injector(s) nozzle is partially clogged, the cleaners will probably not totally fix that. Better just to swap them out.

TQ

I use 2 oz. of MMO every fillup. I would think you could use the Sea Foam once a month as maintainance. As pointed out above though, if your injector(s) nozzle is partially clogged, the cleaners will probably not totally fix that. Better just to swap them out.

TQ
What is MMO?

Have you changed the fuel filter yet?? The fuel filter is in the fuel tank and often gets neglected. You can get a specialty tool from snap-on tools that will remove the fuel tank locking ring snap-on stock #HFTLRT for $45.45 , there has been issues with the fuel filter housing going out of round and that will cause running issue on your bike, HD has a recall on the fuel filter housing so check with your HD dealer to make sure you bike had the recall service done if not this would be a good time to get the service done.

There have been many queries about a reduction in fuel economy in the winter and much has been written in response. Gasoline is re-formulated seasonally and that is the main contributor to poorer economy. The rear cylinder runs warmer than the front in part because the cooling air is both obstructed by and pre-heated by the front cylinder reducing cooling efficiency. This might contribute to a slight difference in the appearance of the two plugs even if everything else is correct.

What kind of gas do you use? A few companies provide cleaning additives meeting the BMW/GM 100,000 mile cycle requirement keeping combustion chambers, piston tops, intake valves and fuel injectors in good shape lessening or eliminating the need for periodic injector cleaner additives. See toptiergas.com for more information. In my part of the world, those same companies also sell gas without ethanol so buying from them is a double win.

Have you changed the fuel filter yet?? The fuel filter is in the fuel tank and often gets neglected. You can get a specialty tool from snap-on tools that will remove the fuel tank locking ring snap-on stock #HFTLRT for $45.45 , there has been issues with the fuel filter housing going out of round and that will cause running issue on your bike, HD has a recall on the fuel filter housing so check with your HD dealer to make sure you bike had the recall service done if not this would be a good time to get the service done.
Thanks, I'll check into that. I ran the sea foam in it, seems to be better.

There have been many queries about a reduction in fuel economy in the winter and much has been written in response. Gasoline is re-formulated seasonally and that is the main contributor to poorer economy. The rear cylinder runs warmer than the front in part because the cooling air is both obstructed by and pre-heated by the front cylinder reducing cooling efficiency. This might contribute to a slight difference in the appearance of the two plugs even if everything else is correct.

What kind of gas do you use? A few companies provide cleaning additives meeting the BMW/GM 100,000 mile cycle requirement keeping combustion chambers, piston tops, intake valves and fuel injectors in good shape lessening or eliminating the need for periodic injector cleaner additives. See toptiergas.com for more information. In my part of the world, those same companies also sell gas without ethanol so buying from them is a double win.
I use major gas companys, exxon, chevron, ect. Mostly exxon premium 93 octane I think it is.

Back