tubes or tubeless

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by bigbubba402, Oct 29, 2010.

1. bigbubba402

bigbubba402 Active Member

Ok now i am totaly confused.In reading the forums it says spoke wheels have tubes.Now on looking at my 02 ultra classic the tires say tubeless and i have spoked wheels.Am i looking at this wrong i would think that tubeless tires should not have a tube.Or are there some spoked wheels that do not need tubes? The tires have never went soft im just trying to understand.....Thanks in advance

2. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

I am sure others will chime in but here is my opinion.

I think HD tires are rated for each bike. Since some bikes can have solid wheels that can be run tubeless and the same bike could have stock spoked wheels, the tire will work with either one.

I am no tire guy but I believe the tubless designation has something to do with the ability to seal and hold air whereas a tube type tire if there even is one, would not have that designation.

In my opinion, running tubes in a tubless tire is no problem at all.

3. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

Well put, I agree. I put new tires on my RKC and at the same time changed out my front wheel for a 60 spoke chrome tubeless wheel. I left the stock rear wheel because you really can't se it with the bags anyway. I am now running a tubless front, a tubed rear and both tires are marked tubeless.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

Per a previous post of mine, the tires on my 09 Ultra Classic have the word Tubeless embossed on the wall of the tire. However, I have Laced Spoke rims with tubes. I was told by the Dealer that the tires are marked this way because the can be used in both applications; with/without tubed rims/wheels.

5. cool breeze

cool breeze Active Member

the above is correct I do a lot of tire work and havent seen a tire marked tube type only in a long time

6. bigbubba402

bigbubba402 Active Member

Ok thanks all that makes sense to me now have a great ride

7. ALC2

ALC2 New Member

How about tubeless tires with NATURAL rubber tubes instead of butyl rubber?

8. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

Why????
    Just buy a decent tube if you need one.