free website stats program Trying To Mount My Rear Wheel . . . '85 H-D | Harley Davidson Forums

Trying To Mount My Rear Wheel . . . '85 H-D

schooner

1985 Electra Glide Classic Rear Wheel Mounting ...

Hey Guys ( Newbie Still Learnin' )

I'm in trouble again guys - Mounting the rear wheel ~ NEED HELP ON THIS ONE

Here's the problem so far.

I can't get the rear wheel into the BRAKE CALLIPER
I have new brake pads also for the rear and front of the bike.

My bike is: '85 Electra Glide Classic

1. Do I have to disconnect the entire brake assembly in order to get
the rear wheel on the bike ?

2. Should I replace the brake pads FIRST and then try to get the rear wheel
back in the brake caliper ?

HELP GUYS

Attachments

• #1 Rear Wheel.jpg
    #1 Rear Wheel.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 35
  • #2 Rear Wheel.jpg
    #2 Rear Wheel.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 33
  • #3 Rear Wheel.jpg
    #3 Rear Wheel.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 33
  • #4 Rear Wheel.jpg
    #4 Rear Wheel.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 37
  • #5 Rear Wheel.jpg
    #5 Rear Wheel.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 35
Hi again, Schooner
Two problems, as I understand:
1. Try to lift the wheel in at an angle (or lower the the bike while holding the wheel at an angle); you need to get the tyre past the caliper, and then you're good to go.
If that doesn't work, you can just losen the caliper bracket and get the tyre past the caliper, then put the bracket back in position.
2. Replace those pads first, and then you need to push the pads apart to fit the disc. I use a clean, XL blade screwdriver - push it in, and twist. Now this should be done firmly but gently, and leave time for the brake fluid to be pushed up into the reservoir. Oh yeah, make sure your reservior is not full when you start off.

I like those pictures of yours - it makes us (at least me) want to help out...

Like Karl said, you need to get the brake pistons pushed back into the caliper to allow for the thickness of the new pads. The pistons go in slowly, just keep pressure on them. I use shims of tin to prevent gouging the new pads with the screwdriver, or tap a wooden wedge slowly between the pads. Once the pads are far enough apart for the rotor to fit, I slip a wedge made of spring type clothespin halves between the brake pads, towards the front. The wedge keeps the pads firmly separated, and as the rotor goes between the new pads, it pushes the wedge and they fall out.

Like Karl said, you need to get the brake pistons pushed back into the caliper to allow for the thickness of the new pads. The pistons go in slowly, just keep pressure on them. I use shims of tin to prevent gouging the new pads with the screwdriver, or tap a wooden wedge slowly between the pads. Once the pads are far enough apart for the rotor to fit, I slip a wedge made of spring type clothespin halves between the brake pads, towards the front. The wedge keeps the pads firmly separated, and as the rotor goes between the new pads, it pushes the wedge and they fall out.

And that would be the pro version of what I do - thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.

I pull the caliper off on my bikes before removing the wheel and put it back on when the wheel is mounted back on

Brian

You're Not Going To Believe What I Did ! ! ! !

Hey Karisbike (Stupid Here) :newsmile026:

This is a WARNING to all dump guys like me.

Check this out.

I broke my hump getting and squezzing in the brake calliper and the brake pads to fit on the rotor. I tightened everything up and was proud of myself.

Do to the fact I NEVER changed a motorcycle rear tire before or installed new brake pad. Man, I was beat and sweaty.

I sat down near my rear wheel on a small plastic stool. My view of my newly mounted rear wheel was just a bit below my eye level.

I happened to look at my tire. And what did I see? I MOUNTED THE TIRE '' BACKWARDS " the tire thread going the wrong way :small3d031:

I attached the spocket on the WRONG SIDE OF THE REAR TIRE. ROTO DISC WAS ON THE WRONG SIDE ALSO :wall

I couldn't believe what a DUMB mistake I made. So off comes the spocket and the rotor disc. I re-attached the spocket on the correct side of the wheel MAKING SURE THE TIRE THREAD was going in the RIGHT DIRECTION.

By this time I was DEAD TIRED. i just laid the rear tire near the bike and I'll tackle the mounting of it tomorrow. That's if I don't die in my sleep !

So guys be forwarned: DON'T DO WHAT I DID. LOOK @ THE DIRECTION OF THE TIRES BEFORE YOU MOUNT 'EM. Its a tough lesson on my part. However, I assure you guys IT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPED AGAIN ON MY PART.

I'm done :(

Hi again, Schooner
Two problems, as I understand:
1. Try to lift the wheel in at an angle (or lower the the bike while holding the wheel at an angle); you need to get the tyre past the caliper, and then you're good to go.
If that doesn't work, you can just losen the caliper bracket and get the tyre past the caliper, then put the bracket back in position.
2. Replace those pads first, and then you need to push the pads apart to fit the disc. I use a clean, XL blade screwdriver - push it in, and twist. Now this should be done firmly but gently, and leave time for the brake fluid to be pushed up into the reservoir. Oh yeah, make sure your reservior is not full when you start off.

I like those pictures of yours - it makes us (at least me) want to help out...

I think on your project of changing your tyres you have managed to hit almost everything that could go wrong
But once you have it all back together the sense of elation will be so much greater because of the problems you have encountered and over came
Next time it will be much easier because you will know what can go wrong and you will watch out for it
if you have removed and refitted the brake rotor and the pulley i hope that you have used new bolts and used loctite on the bolts and torqued them to the correct torque as you dont want them breaking loose as you go down the road
i had a pulley come loose once no loctite on the new bolts

Brian

Back