free website stats program trying to customize my fatboy lo the cheapest way i can | Harley Davidson Forums

trying to customize my fatboy lo the cheapest way i can

KDLmaster

For my next custom idea, I am trying to change wheels from the stock (almost solid) wheels to spokes. i am trying to purchase other stock spoke wheels that will fit my bike without having to change the bearings (preferably the blacked out wheels n spokes from a crossbones or is there any other model wheel that i'm unaware of) i'm wondering if the bearings will be the same or if I could get them anyway and the bearing change isn't that big a deal or if it'll be cheap to do?????

i hope this makes sense, & thanks to all that reply :hii

Welcome to the forum KDL. There are several articles in the self help area that may help you with your quest for wheels. You can also go to a site such as J&P Cycles and search for axles. This will show you what years and models use the same axle. Same axle = same bearings.Then it's just a matter of getting the correct spacers to fit your bike. Notice that there are 3/4", 1" and 25mm axles. 1" & 25mm are very close, but not close enough to interchange.
In my opinion, the 2 main things that define a Fatboy are the solid wheels and short shotgun exhaust. Changing either makes the bike look like a Heritage (not a bad thing).

Wondering why the wheel change? Is it the Oaklahoma wind pushing the bike around, or the look?
And a welcome to the Forum. :small3d026:

You should check out the last couple issues of American Iron Magazine, They are having a contest for whoever can do a bike in a custom fashion for under 9 thousand including cost of bike. Amazing what some of these guys/gals have done. I will say this a stock bike with a killer paint job is always nice.

I really dig the FB wheels, but I hear that they are like sails in the wind. Living in the worlds captital for wind-surfing it just seemed like I would get tired of fighting it. In a year or two I will be replacing my wheels on the FLSTC, its a corrossion issue that I will eventually lose. Looking at Ronnies HD list I beleive the stock wheels are the least expensive at around $400 a pop. If I could afford them though I would go with chrome solid disks front and back and just fight the wind when I have to... disks on a fat bike are the coolest! Next best choice in my opinion would be Fat Daddy's or similar. Fat spokes are pretty cool too. Very American Graffitti ish...

oklahoma winds are the pits. on a beautiful (for oklahoma) day you still get 10 m.p.h. winds and fighting the almost solid wheels are already old. Since i feel like i have to change wheels i'm going for an old school, kinda rat roddy look. i also like what harley has done with the Dark Custom line, the crossbones wheels and the sporty wheels look the best in my opinion and i was wondering if i could get similar wheels to just bolt on.

There are a couple good ideas that i will try out, and i have plenty of time to look since we are snow'd in.

Thanks for having me on this site i am proud to be here

I put Thunderstars on mine and they're nothing like the origianl parachutes. Beach bars with hidden wiring was a nice addition too.

I put thunderstars on as well. The bearing change really isn't that difficult. You can use a press or a bearing seat set with a ball pein hammer, either way is sufficient. Yes those solid wheels are a sail, in a good cross wind. Even with the front spoiler I run made my front end come right off the ground that is a little hairy when not expecting it. Take care welcome, and enjoy.

Back