free website stats program Trying to adjust myself to new 2010 Ultra | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trying to adjust myself to new 2010 Ultra

That's exactally why in my training, we practice whats called the 40 decel. This is a controlled braking exercise bringing the bike to a stop from 40 mph in the shortest distance possible, or with a hazard avoidance at the end in a prescribed distance emphasizing the use of both brakes knowing that 75 to 80% of your stopping power is with the front brake. Riders must engage the brakes at a certain point, sometimes controlled by lights, or a gate of cones. Locking the rear wheel increases the stopping distance by several feet and of course locking the front wheel can mean going down real quick. All police motor officers must quailify on this to pass any motor school. It's amazing, how many riders can not come close to doing this or are afraid of that front brake. It's a real shame, when you respond to a collision and see a 100' of rear wheel skid leading up to the point of impact knowing that with proper compination braking a collision probably could have been avoided.

Every rider needs to practice this technique or take an advanced rider course.

once u get passed that take off wobble (on all big bikes) they handle great . just takes time to get used to after having a smaller bike good luck u can do it

The stopping power of the Brembo brakes is amazing. I can not believe how quickly I can haul a 800 pound motorcycle to such a controlled stop from speed. This bike is the best bike I have owned in 25 years. Try to incorporate all the great advice here and pratice.....pratice.....pratice.........

If I may be so bold, I highly recommend the DVD, "Ride Like a Pro". It will change how you ride your scooter, and provide lots of stuff to incorporate in your formal practice and "on the run" practice.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Some quick fixes;
1)lower seat
2)boots,with good rubber more heel and sole
3)when coming to a controlled stop use rear brakes

You have received some really good advice here. Between Glen073 (who by the way I worked with, trained with and ride with)and Ribeye you have what you need to make this work. It's just a matter of practice, practice and more practice...the 40 mile decel WILL save your life! Just FYI, I am 5'8", 225 lbs, with a 29" inseam, and ride with my wife alot and I have absolutely no problems with controlled stops, it's just a matter of finding that sweat spot of knowing when to get off the front brake (leaving it covered of course) and putting that left foot down while controlling the stop with your foot brake. Enjoy the ride.

I have to say my 2010 Ultra Limited is the best bike I have ever riden for comfort and response combined. Of course this is my personal experience and every rider is different....

I am not sure but I have been told that the new frames (2009 and newer) are a little higher up. You may try to lower the bike a couple if inches too.

I also am 5'7" and can not touch the ground. I have been looking into the rear lowering backet. I see a lot of people are against doing that on this site, but I have found at lease 10 Harley owners that did install the lowering kit on ultras and they love it.
My concern is would the tires hit the fenders on large bumps or hurt anything?

Back