free website stats program Try again. Need help with plugs modified engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Try again. Need help with plugs modified engine

Oregold

Greetings friends I need some opinions on spark plugs for a bike I bought this summer. It's a 96 FXSCT. When the prior owner bought the bike he had a Mikuni 42 mm carburetor installed, along with the M27 cam and Crane 4 E ignition kit (coil and box). I'm not sure but back when the bike was new we didn't have the E-10 gas we have to use now. The plugs the dealer installed were Autolite 4265. I just turned over 8k miles on the bike so it still has low miles. The plugs are ready to change, but I'm not sure which plug would be the best choice with the modifications, as well as the E-10 fuel we now have to use. So, before I replace them with the same thing I'd like some opinions on the plugs as well as the best gap. to set them at. Thanks for any help you may have to offer. Best wishes. Mike in Oregon

Just run stock Harley plugs. You don't need anything else with the mods done to that motor. Put those autolites in the garbage and forget you ever ran them. Harleys are sometimes very sensitive to the plugs you are running in them and most folks stick with oem plugs to avoid any issues.
WAP.gif

I am running close to the same set up you are with Andrews EV27 and Crane Hi-4 Ignition although still have the CV Carb. The OEM HD Plugs work fine gapped at 040.

Oh yeah, your gap should be set at .040. Since you are running a Crane Hi-4 you could open up the gap by .003-.005 but I really don't see a need or a benefit based on your build.

Thank you friends for the help. I will stop and buy a new set of plugs from the dealership this week. It was kind of everyone to respond. Mike

Back