free website stats program true or false | Harley Davidson Forums

true or false

gunnut

I saw on tv recently some of the syn oils are animal fat/oils based,It doesnt actually say that on the contents list on the oil jug,and knowing how "accurate"tv researchers can be,I'm extremely curious as to what the constituants of syn oils really are,in a language I can understand.Having said that,I'm completely sold on them,and wouldnt use any thing else.I even use RED LINE 20-50 as a case lub when I reload.
So, what say you guys??

never seen anything about that before, syn oil is generally a mineral base, modifyed with synthetic adatives, or synthesized from a synthetic compound. the easy way to tell what process is used to make your oil is to look at what API grade the oil is, which is similar to a dot rating for brake fluid.

I hadn't heard of this, but a simple search turned up lots of links.
The oil debates will really get interesting now. Cheetah oil for racing applications, Whale oil for personal watercraft, and of course pig oil for Harleys. :bigsmiley30:

Last edited:
And Mobil 1 makes the best french fries.:D

Just kidding, don't try this at home!!!!!:rofl:rofl:rofl

FYI... After buying my 2003 FXD back in November, I have become an avid reader of this site, especially in the lubes area because it is so critical. Took the bike in to my local H-D shop for 5,000 mile service and specifically asked for full synthetic engine oil, primary lube and gear oil. When I picked it up I was told (predictably) Syn 3 99824-03 was used in all three holes. Of course I intend to switch to Mobil 1, H-D Formula + and Spectro GL1 at the earliest opportunity. Thanks again for all the great information on such a friendly, valuable site.

Using the OP analogy, you could say that "petrified" wood, a mineral is a wood product...TRUE..."dino" oil may have originated from animal and plant products, but has long since been changed, "cracked" and refined down to the molecular level so even trace amounts "natural" byproducts may not be present. :newsmile020:

That said, 100% Synthetic goes a step further by developing a product starting from PROPERTIES of dino oil only all chemically synthesized (man made) in the lab (lubricating molecules identified & developed from scratch) starting out without any impurities like ash & inert materials found in dino oils...so FALSE... :s

Last edited:
Back